Kona Humu Humu under construction

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a very nice Humu Humu from our friend irideiam here and wanted to show the paaaaaiiinfully slow build underway. Why so slow? Just too many freakin projects. Yeah, but this one's sure going to be cool. I am going for a fun, fairly fast commuter with some clean style going on. So far, I'm digging the aesthetic that's coming together.

Andy A

Lookin sweet, nice parts as well, you're going to like the town & country tires.....

This is one of those frames I wish I had kept, well good to see it's being cared for...... 8)

Yep, she's gonna be happy here. If only I could get a decent chainline dialed in; just eyeballing it, I can tell its way off-- either the bb, or maybe the rear wheel (which was single speed specific, but then I adapted it to be bolt on; maybe in that transition I messed with a critical measure.) Very close to being rideable once I get that figured out.

theandy said:
Yep, she's gonna be happy here. If only I could get a decent chainline dialed in; just eyeballing it, I can tell its way off-- either the bb,

Nope. You can mess around with the spacers, since your frame has a 68mm BB shell, but you won't find much difference there.

theandy said:
or maybe the rear wheel (which was single speed specific, but then I adapted it to be bolt on; maybe in that transition I messed with a critical measure.)

Maybe. What hub do ya got on there, anyway? Most Humus are spaced at 120mm, and you'll probably want to run a different crank. That crank is in the neighborhood of 50-52mm for the middle position; even fiddling with the HTII spacers, you'll maybe achieve 4mm, and you'll still be way off the ca42mm chainline of a track hub.

Try to score a 90's/early 2000's vintage mtb crank with a square taper BB interface, and run that with a narrow spindle to get decent chainline. That way, you can still run that hawt blackspire chainring....

Avoid octalink at all costs.

HTH
-rob

theandy said:
Yep, she's gonna be happy here. If only I could get a decent chainline dialed in; just eyeballing it, I can tell its way off-- either the bb, or maybe the rear wheel (which was single speed specific, but then I adapted it to be bolt on; maybe in that transition I messed with a critical measure.) Very close to being rideable once I get that figured out.

To answer your question from the other post regarding the stock BB, this is what was stock on the single speed 2009
Bottom Bracket: RPM BB-7420
BB Shell Width: 68mm
Spindle Length: 122.5 mm

Thanks you guys. Could not find that spindle measurement ANYWHERE. I was looking more closely at the BB tonight; it may not have the lowest Q factor but its in the right ballpark. The problem lies in where the cog is on the rear hub. (Rear is 135mm.) I need to rethink the rear wheel; it seems to be more like a hub that was converted to ss from geared; spokes certainly look like it. The freewheel is too far inboard.

Bear in mind a lot of this build is from extra parts I had so the results are somewhat experimental. This chain line thing has been the only real hiccup. Pretty close to getting it all sorted though so am pretty psyched to finally ride it!

STOP. There's no "correct" spindle for your frame. You're running a hollowtech II crank; it only has one option for the spindle, b/c it's affixed top the driveside crankarm. You can't change the BB spindle unless you replace the whole crank (which you'll likely have to do anyway), but even then, you can't just assume you need a 122.5mm unless you're going to also run the original-equipment cranks and rear hub.

Decide on which square-taper crank you intend to use. Then, decide on a rear hub, or figure out your current rear hubs chainline, so you'll have a target to aim for. Then, take measurements and do some research to figure out what BB, with what spindle, you're going to need. To look at the original Humu bb is pointless, unless you're going to replicate the whole drivetrain.

Bicycle808 said:
STOP. There's no "correct" spindle for your frame. You're running a hollowtech II crank; it only has one option for the spindle, b/c it's affixed top the driveside crankarm. You can't change the BB spindle unless you replace the whole crank (which you'll likely have to do anyway), but even then, you can't just assume you need a 122.5mm unless you're going to also run the original-equipment cranks and rear hub.

Decide on which square-taper crank you intend to use. Then, decide on a rear hub, or figure out your current rear hubs chainline, so you'll have a target to aim for. Then, take measurements and do some research to figure out what BB, with what spindle, you're going to need. To look at the original Humu bb is pointless, unless you're going to replicate the whole drivetrain.

Correct, I agree, I was just passing on the original spec information as a point of reference.

fair enough. and, I s'pose I seemed psycho on my last post up there. I just don't wanna see Andy waste any extra time/money on this project. A bit of planning goes a long way, and is totally worth it on a nice build like this'n.

theandy said:
Thanks you guys. Could not find that spindle measurement ANYWHERE. I was looking more closely at the BB tonight; it may not have the lowest Q factor but its in the right ballpark. The problem lies in where the cog is on the rear hub. (Rear is 135mm.) I need to rethink the rear wheel; it seems to be more like a hub that was converted to ss from geared; spokes certainly look like it. The freewheel is too far inboard.

Bear in mind a lot of this build is from extra parts I had so the results are somewhat experimental. This chain line thing has been the only real hiccup. Pretty close to getting it all sorted though so am pretty psyched to finally ride it!

The rear wheel certainly appears like it had a normal freewheel at one time, you probably would do better to re-dish and spacer that wheel to get a better chainline.

theandy said:

Wait, it's spaced at 135? That's good news, but the Humus I have seen, plus the bikepedia info, suggests track rear spacing. This is actually good news, aside from the fact that you'll likely want a new wheel, or at least a new hub...

Get yourself a "normal" ss mtb hub, like a surly non-disc in 135mm spacing. That will line up almost exactly with your chainring on the outer position. I'm guessing that you've got a low-end 135mm multi-speed freewheel hub that someone unceremoniously threaded a SS freewheel onto. This shall not do. That's a nice bike; build a nice wheel around a nice hub, and make things happen. :mrgreen:

Some quick follow up to the discussion here:
- I was asking about the bb cause in trying to figure out the chainline, I was half considering duplicating the original set up on these; thanks for that info.
- turns out I do have the right bb (and nice square taper cranks), but am going to see if I can make this set up work first
- am building a new rear wheel around a silver surly ss hub, as this 'converted' hub wasnt going to get me what I wanted. Kinda bummed I had to invest in a new rear wheel, but at this point just want this ride to be dialed, so stuff's gotta happen.
- end of this week, will be rocking a brand new Humu! Stay tuned...

theandy said:
Some quick follow up to the discussion here:
- I was asking about the bb cause in trying to figure out the chainline, I was half considering duplicating the original set up on these; thanks for that info.
- turns out I do have the right bb (and nice square taper cranks), but am going to see if I can make this set up work first
- am building a new rear wheel around a silver surly ss hub, as this 'converted' hub wasnt going to get me what I wanted. Kinda bummed I had to invest in a new rear wheel, but at this point just want this ride to be dialed, so stuff's gotta happen.
- end of this week, will be rocking a brand new Humu! Stay tuned...

Awesome. Remember, the 122.5mm st bb won't guarantee proper chainline, b/c your nice st cranks might have a different line than the oem ones. It doesn't matter though; the current cranks will work fine with a surly hub. (I ran a similar-era Hone crank with a Surly 135mm hub bitd...)M760s are awesome cranks; you're definitely gonna have a hott Humu once you get that wheel laced up...

Checkit checkit out... she's rolling. Oh so very tight. If this thing had a wee bit lower bb, it would be about the best thing I ever put between my legs. Ain't she pretty?

Great looking bike! I'll bet it rides like dream.

I have similar bars on the '37 Hawthorne Zep I've been working on... 8)

IMAG0566_zps70d8b86a.jpg

IMAG0563_zps1693c944.jpg

Interesting- what bars are those? They look to have a slight rise to them which I would love...

theandy said:
Checkit checkit out... she's rolling. Oh so very tight. If this thing had a wee bit lower bb, it would be about the best thing I ever put between my legs. Ain't she pretty?

Super nice work, glad she went to a good home, and you built it up much different than I would have. She looks euro... I would have did the Klunker/BMX thing with it. Turns out, I like your idea better. Cheers... 8)

Latest posts

Back