Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Future handle pins
20210124_225600.jpg

That's pretty incredible.

I can see how the resin and wire was created. What's going on with the two woods?

I was told it's from burl. Can't find where they appear to be joined so my assumption is the black delineation is natural

Is anyone out there still on the fence about joining due to getting ideas or materials? I've got a few OLD project blades from 10+ years ago when I was developing that aren't finished. Still need shaping/sharpening, handles, etc......

FREE if you'd like to jump in the game. I'll mail them your way if you PM me your address. 2 available. First come first serve

Is anyone out there still on the fence about joining due to getting ideas or materials? I've got a few OLD project blades from 10+ years ago when I was developing that aren't finished. Still need shaping/sharpening, handles, etc......

FREE if you'd like to jump in the game. I'll mail them your way if you PM me your address. 2 available. First come first serve
I'm thinking about making a file knife with hand tools sometime this week. Thought it might help sway some people.
Just have to find the file I've been looking.

I'm thinking about making a file knife with hand tools sometime this week. Thought it might help sway some people.
Just have to find the file I've been looking.

:thumbsup:

One of these freebies is a file knife. It ain't pretty but it'll get someone in the door

IMG_20210125_214229397~2.jpg

Don't remember making it. No idea why the holes are so wonky. Shaped like a wood splitter right now. Hand for scale

Last edited:
I don't have anything that cool to give away, but have random bits of steel, copper, and brass rod, bolts, tube etc. for pins, lanyard holes. If it made the difference between someone participating or not.

Curbside pickup only! :21:

I'm assuming a new 'Challenge' thread will be started on Feb 1st where we will all begin posting our actual builds. Then maybe keep this one going as the 'discussion thread', as it were?

Anxious for the literal sparks to fly; as opposed to the literary.

I'm assuming a new 'Challenge' thread will be started on Feb 1st where we will all begin posting our actual builds. Then maybe keep this one going as the 'discussion thread', as it were?

Anxious for the literal sparks to fly; as opposed to the literary.
Yep. Got a draft thread going. Gotta add a couple more things then hit the button on Feb 1.

I'll change the name of this one to discussion

The blower is from a laco oil burning furnace from the thirties or forties. I picked it up cheap a few years ago but it was just the housing. Now seemed like a good time to try to get it going. I drilled out a piece of solid rod for the hub, drilled and tapped a hole on the inside end for a set screw and cut all the fins out with snips. I hammered a little channel in each blade to make them stronger and welded the whole thing together. Getting all the fins on reasonably straight wasn't easy but it turned out ok. I think it should put out enough air for a forge.

The blower is from a laco oil burning furnace from the thirties or forties. I picked it up cheap a few years ago but it was just the housing. Now seemed like a good time to try to get it going. I drilled out a piece of solid rod for the hub, drilled and tapped a hole on the inside end for a set screw and cut all the fins out with snips. I hammered a little channel in each blade to make them stronger and welded the whole thing together. Getting all the fins on reasonably straight wasn't easy but it turned out ok. I think it should put out enough air for a forge.
Does motor still work?
If not, will you replace it or put a hand crank on it?

Latest posts

Back