Knife buildoff challenge discussion

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely a hammer, not a knife
I think you hit it on the head.
I thought it might be, but on the ball enough to bang out my observations with such a swift and cutting stroke while the metal was still hot.
All my mixed metaphors have me feeling like a blunt tool without the claws to hold my thought. I promise to try and bang out some sharper prose about somepeen or other later.

I think you hit it on the head.
I thought it might be, but on the ball enough to bang out my observations with such a swift and cutting stroke while the metal was still hot.
All my mixed metaphors have me feeling like a blunt tool without the claws to hold my thought. I promise to try and bang out some sharper prose about somepeen or other later.
Coulda at least made a joke about how long the peen is

But.... It says knives right on the handle. That's like two knifes.
Yeah, dats a plural. One is knife two dem is knives. Sam ting wid licen plate. You got a licen plate on da front and anutter one on da back. Together day license plates. Sam ting agin wid glasses. You got a right len and a left Len. Together days lens. That’s Yooper jargon and actually how I remember some old timers talk when I was a kid. Like Uncle Normy yelled down the stairs when I was in his basement waxing XC skis, “throw me up da stairs dat pail what tells lard, if it ain’t dare don’t do it”. Holy wah!

Yeah, dats a plural. One is knife two dem is knives. Sam ting wid licen plate. You got a licen plate on da front and anutter one on da back. Together day license plates. Sam ting agin wid glasses. You got a right len and a left Len. Together days lens. That’s Yooper jargon and actually how I remember some old timers talk when I was a kid. Like Uncle Normy yelled down the stairs when I was in his basement waxing XC skis, “throw me up da stairs dat pail what tells lard, if it ain’t dare don’t do it”. Holy wah!

Sounds like headin up nort when I was just a sprout

Rat rod knives? Hmmmm....
Could be fun to see. Not sure about entering just yet though.

Here's a ratty barn find Russell I have. I keep it sharp for gardening.
d418096a49d3a26374665f3182c371ed.jpg
060d668d50d4d823cb24a5713389cae1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm going to be cutting my knife from a table saw blade, which should be hardened steel. Would it do any good, or harm, to heat it up in this kiva of ours? And if I did it, when I get to that point in the build, would I quench it in water or let it naturally 'air cool'?
20210123_195451.jpg

Tempering, in metallurgy, process of improving the characteristics of a metal, especially steel, by heating it to a high temperature, though below the melting point, then cooling it, usually in air. The process has the effect of toughening by lessening brittleness and reducing internal stresses. Temperature varies widely with the material, so you would have to do some research (also true for quenching, some materials prefer oil over water, and temps vary). An oven or kiln would give you better control.

*I'm no expert, my info comes from Britanica and Forged in Fire lol

On Forged in Fire they quench in oil. Used motor oil is what a lot of people use. Somehow carbon from the oil is transferred to the hot steel. I think...

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm going to be cutting my knife from a table saw blade, which should be hardened steel. Would it do any good, or harm, to heat it up in this kiva of ours? And if I did it, when I get to that point in the build, would I quench it in water or let it naturally 'air cool'?
View attachment 150460

Never quench in water.
I would suggest : warmed up
Cooking oil.

View attachment 150460
The advice that Falstaff and Captain Awesome gave me was that if you're making it out of an already hardened steel, like a saw blade, then you don't need to quench, just temper.

As for the wood oven, I dunno, could be easy to get your metal too hot and burn it. But maybe it'll be fine?

My patience was once good, but this start date has hardened it using motor oil.
Feb 1 was realistically the first 3 month period I would be able to put in the hours on this. There's some others who I'm pretty sure are gonna make real crowd pleasers that couldn't start until feb/march.
Plus since it could be new to a lot of people I wanted everyone to have a chance to think about it and collect any tools and supplies.

Latest posts

Back