Kngtmat's 1968 Stingray Done

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since fixing my Christine bicycle is put off for the moment until I can get someone to paint her I think I will start on my 1968 Stingray frame which I have just got parts off of my parts bike find that includes it's crank, sprocket, headset & bottom bracket and if I finally get a responce from a member that is selling a white banana seat & sissy I will have two more parts for it.

A few pics of the frame.
IMG_20120110_184720-1.jpg

IMG_20120110_184703-1.jpg

IMG_20120110_184804.jpg

IMG_20120110_184910.jpg

IMG_20120110_185013.jpg

IMG_20120110_184934.jpg

IMG_20120110_185034.jpg

H78, what ever that means.
IMG_20120110_185507.jpg

Searial number.
IMG_20120110_185414.jpg

The rest of the pics in the link and more later of the rest.
http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j206/ ... 0Stingray/

Re: Kngtmat's 1968 Stingray

I was just thinking I would keep it the way it is, partly because I don't think I could afford to get original paint for it but I need to figure out how to preserve it the way it is since no one could give it a rat look like what happened in it's life plus I'm not very good at painting a bicycle or a car.

I have a springer fork that has some chrome off in some areas, I will post more pics tomorrow.

Yeah, the insides of the dropouts have numbers stamped too of 1222 on the right & 1224 on the left but I think those two are just the part numbers of the dropouts or something or else they should have had the same nunbers.

Here is the old springer fork I have for it but the steerer tube is somewhere else at the moment and I have new nuts & bolts for it which I don't have pictured.
IMG_20120111_195337.jpg

Here are a few parts from the china built girls Schwinn Petal Patch parts bike I just got which is surprising that they are in great shape except for the headsets bearings cages (Not Pictured) are bent yet the bearing themselves are not bad at all.
IMG_20120111_194845.jpg

IMG_20120111_194833.jpg

IMG_20120111_194601.jpg

IMG_20120111_194645.jpg

Thanks again for the frame, I got that springer fork from you too.

I saw in the 68 Schwinn catalog that they had a white seat and it was green too, I saw in the for sale section that a member was selling a white seat & sissy bar for $20 and most likely plus shipping but I haven't heard anything yet although I most likely should have PM'd about it instead of asking on the thread.

Anyone know how or what I could do to keep it the way it is without it losing more of the paint, clean it so Schwinn will not come off the seat tube, keep it from rusting further or clean the rust that is on it off?

I have the two wheels from the newer Schwinn donor bike but I have an original S7 front wheel that I would like on it but it's old Westwind tire isn't in good enough shape to where will not come apart when I ride it but I don't have an S7 rear wheel so should I just use the donor bike wheels until I could afford the tire for the front & buy a rear wheel?

kngtmat said:
Anyone know how or what I could do to keep it the way it is without it losing more of the paint, clean it so Schwinn will not come off the seat tube, keep it from rusting further or clean the rust that is on it off?

Gibb's Lubricant/Penetrating Oil. Great stuff. Do a search and shop around. It's only available online, but there are a bunch of different sellers out there.

furyus

I am still waiting on hearing about a few parts so if I don't get them I will ask what you would want for it or if I get them I could get that wheel if you do have one sometime around my Birthday at the end of March.

I will look online later after I'm home from the stores I will be going to today.

Your Stingray looks nice.

I didn't do anything today since I have been busy but tomorrow I will get my 68 handlebars & stem, I will have to find out how to get the kickstand out of the parts bike to this Stingray.

I have a few more of my parts but I will get the pics later, so far I have a few spots of rust off but I need to find a better way to take it off without hurting the paint and I guess I will use clear over the paint to preserve it.

Tony if the member selling this white seat & sissy bar in the for sale thread below doesn't come back by maybe Tuesday I will see if I will talk to you about that rear wheel if you do have one.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48123

While I was looking at the frame I noticed it has a 4 on theleft side of the seat stays, must be a part number or something.
IMG_20120114_002909.jpg

I have a kickstand that I removed from a parts bike to put into this one but I am stumped at the moment on how I can get it into it so any help will be great?
IMG_20120203_182558.jpg

IMG_20120203_182620.jpg

IMG_20120203_182711.jpg

You are a brave and talented soul to take the kickstand apart! I've seen how to do it and decided against it.
Luckily Mag Ray's was still in good condition but my Typhoon, I chopped it off.
Best of luck on your build. Keep up the good work!
Looking forward to seeing it together.

To tell the truth it was luck that I got it out, I used channellocks for oil filters on it.

I still don't know how I am going to get it back in so any help from those that have done it before will help.

I now have Schwinn S seatpost clamp for it that was on the cut up Western Flyer version of a ladies Spaceliner or Astro flite frame for my Spaceliner.

If I sell more stuff I have on CL I hope I will have enough to buy a sissy bar, a seat and a rear wheel which a coaster brake will be just fine since a 3 speed would be more money plus I would have to find a 3 speed stick shift that I would like to but but it is no where near my budget.

kngtmat said:
To tell the truth it was luck that I got it out, I used channellocks for oil filters on it.

I still don't know how I am going to get it back in so any help from those that have done it before will help.
http://ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14366
I now have Schwinn S seatpost clamp for it that was on the cut up Western Flyer version of a ladies Spaceliner or Astro flite frame for my Spaceliner.

If I sell more stuff I have on CL I hope I will have enough to buy a sissy bar, a seat and a rear wheel which a coaster brake will be just fine since a 3 speed would be more money plus I would have to find a 3 speed stick shift that I would like to but but it is no where near my budget.

Latest posts

Back