Klunker-esque build question particularly frame choice

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I want to build a klunker style build in the near future to beat around the near by state park trails. I am not going for absolutely original but just kind of the style of a klunker.

I am leaning towards a newer frame so I can screw around with the paint and if I bend or break it I won't feel bad about it like I would with a vintage frame. I am also trying to keep this low dollar. I was wondering what a good frame would be for a 6'2" guy. I have seen newer Schwinn Heavy Duti frames suggested.

I am planning on stealing the V-brakes, wheels and rear deraileur off an old mountain bike I have laying around plus a friction shifter and motorbike handle bars I also have laying around. I figured I would get a set of rigid front mountain bike forks. What would I need to do to add a deraileur to a cruiser that didn't have one?

Last edited:
-They make hang-on derailleurs that attach to your rear axle. No derailleur hanger required. Shimano makes one.
-Use a rigid mountain bike fork for mounting v-brakes. I wouldn't worry about a v-brake on the back. A BMX brake will do on the rear.
-I believe Firmstrong makes a beach cruiser for taller riders.

Not sure what your wanting to spend. But tradition make a pretty cool modern day klunker already to go you may find a used one on Ebay.
Also felt makes a cool 29er klunker that’s pretty cheep if you can snag a used one even better.
But if your stuck on building a bike I would find a schwinn frame .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to build cause building stuff is something I enjoy. So I'd prefer to start with a frame or bike and build from there.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

The cheap and easy route is to get a frame from Ind-Chuckz the next time he lists one. He lists industrial Schwinn Heavy Duti, Worksman, Summit, & Husky fairly regularly for low, low prices and they build up to cool klunkers...
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...ur-ind_chuckz-workman-heavy-duty-build.86619/
Somewhere on the forums there is a thread that compares the various industrial frames...but, I can't remember where :doh:

Jason

Ditto what Dizzle said, you can find some off-the-wall modern bikes on CL that mimic old school cruisers, but with better materials. Currently considering an 80s FILA cantilever bike with 3spd igh and full chromoly frame...didn't know such a thing existed until I ran across it on CL :thumbsup:

Jason

Also felt makes a cool 29er klunker that’s pretty cheep if you can snag a used one even better.
But if your stuck on building a bike I would find a schwinn frame .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is the model name of the Felt klunker the Burner or Rail?

I was gonna say the same as @RustyGold . Chucks definitely the guy with awesome industrial frames.

Also, keep an eye on your local Craigslist. I’ve seen a lot of Bikes for cheap that are non functioning where you could get the frame for relatively cheaply

I am watching Craigslist for bikes as well.

Check out my recent Klunker build project. It's based on an aluminium beach cruiser with parts sourced from Ebay, i.e. enduro handlebars, flange grips, bear-trap pedals, riveted saddle, free-ride tyres etc.
This was done for a total of 420 Euros / $500
Bike front on.jpg

Worksman inb or m2600 frame
From chucks of coarse.
Id Also Go With 3pc Crank

For a tall person, the m2600 frame is the way to go. 20" frame.

before-bike-jpg.413871

They aren't as common as the INB, but Chuck may have one or could find one for you.

Most cantilever frames are 18", measured along the seat tube. Those are small for me, and I'm only 5'9". A 20" size frame is better but still hard to find unless you use a diamond style frame. Schwinn made a larger frame back in the early 60's, the king size, but they are hard to find.

I also agree on the 3 piece crank setup. I just did a conversion from one piece and it's much better.
DSCI0036.JPG

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-4_8-27-59.jpeg
    upload_2018-1-4_8-27-59.jpeg
    10.9 KB · Views: 214
A laid back seat post also gives a little legroom. A strong one, or reinforced because it'll be pretty high. There was a member here who made them, from solid bar, I bought a couple and they worked great. I can't recall his name right now, must be old age.

With the 3 piece cranks, you'll have a lot of choice in length, the clearance when leaning into a turn might be an issue. Here's where I looked for conversion and cranks.
https://www.niagaracycle.com/categories/sunlite-bb-conversion-kit-122mm-spindle

If you're not looking for a lay-back seat post, you can reinforce a tube seat post by hammering a rod into it. You may want to get grade 8 hardware for the seat post clamp if you go that route, though. I found out the hard way that tube posts must deform more than I thought as the stock hardware got stripped out trying to keep the solid post tight.

One thing I like about the Worksman frames, they take 7/8 seatpost. All mine have a piece of 7/8 6061 aluminum solid bar for a seat post. I bought a bunch of cutoffs cheap.

Latest posts

Back