KLUNKER BUILD-OFF

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When's the due date?
I would love to do this build off with my 30's Rollfast but I'm in RRBBO #6 and I'm kinda tight on money and time right now.
But I am almost done so I could start on it soon.

KickBackCycles said:
When's the due date?
I would love to do this build off with my 30's Rollfast but I'm in RRBBO #6 and I'm kinda tight on money and time right now.
But I am almost done so I could start on it soon.
this thread is a year old but i reall dont care. More like a "Post you klunker build" thread.

Sam

P9011240.jpg

P9011246.jpg

P9011242.jpg

wow jay the bike looks great. i apologize for not posting my build in a timely manner. The klunker i built came out great and i can wait to post pics. Jay im loving ur bfgoodrich bike.
well my build started like this. i started with the same frame as you in very rough shape and then went online to research my build. After reading everything online i could find i decided i needed a prewar frame with a straight chainstay. the prewar frames with a straight chainstay have a higher bb height. i also discovered an excelsior would be the frame of choice. lucky for me i had picked up a complete excelsior from canada. i quickly pulled the frame down and was ready to begin. like any good hotrod i had found my base and it was time for the drivetrain. so i started digging through my collection for some hubs. after some more research i learned about the morrow bombers crew. i knew that was my kinda klunker. so i went through my garage and found a morrow hub from a ladies bike. unfortunatly the break assembly had cracked and so i kept looking. after some snooping i found some of my war time hubs. all black. oh yeah ratrod style baby. i had found a nice new departure front hub and was looking for a rear. after wiping the grease off some hubs i realized my blacked out hub was a morrow!! hooray. i rebuilt the hubs and realized that vintage rims werent going to cut it for a real pearl pass bike. i went to my local bike shop and had them order me some alex downhill rims (dx32) and some black 14g spokes and black alloy nips.

i then moved on to the chain. i had to use a skiptooth. I wanted to do pearl pass old school and so that was an easy choice. i used a sweetheart sprocket and the original dogbone cranks. after thinking about going over the pass with a 52 tooth i realized that wasnt going to happen. not enough gear or ground clearance. i also realized the cranks wouldnt make it. so i pulled an old bmx bike apart and stole her profile ss cranks. the bmx cranks had a smaller spindle diameter so i had to make and adapter from a campbells soup can. i then changed the skiptooth for a prewar ladies skip tooth shamrock sprocket. better patina, gears and ground clearance. i feel like a real rat rod. old hubs to new rims adapted to newer cranks with old sprocket. mmmhh adapting. more to come asap i cant wait to tell this story.

2011-09-10_125547.jpg
Here is quick pic of the bike just below tree line on pearl pass this year. better pics and a full build description with pics asap.

2011-09-06_205431.jpg
2011-09-06_205500.jpg
Here is some pics of the wheel build. I thought it was interesting that even the bearings during ww2 where black and not chrome because of chrome limitations.

Latest posts

Back