Kingfish254's Finds - Over Ten Years of Kingfish Scores!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Kingfish254's Finds 4/16 Big Four Bike Score + $100

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:
yoothgeye said:
Was that some sort of promotional bill (anything on other side) or was it just play money?

It describes different US currency on the other side. No bike promo stuff. Just a cool item some kid stuck in his bike 30 years ago.

Tell the truth though, you got excited when you first uncovered it right?

I was excited to see anything under there, but because of the size, there was no mistaking it for a real bill.

Re: Kingfish254's Finds 4/18 Heineken Shifter

My Uncle (who has built more than a few street rods in his time) send me a surprise last week.
He had this Heineken tap sitting around his shop for a while. After seeing photos of BEER RUN beer bike from last year, he thought that I could find a use for this.

IMG_5237-1.jpg

kingfish254 said:
My Uncle (who has built more than a few street rods in his time) send me a surprise last week.
He had this Heineken tap sitting around his shop for a while. After seeing photos of BEER RUN beer bike from last year, he thought that I could find a use for this.

Years ago I contacted a friend of mine that was a bartender and asked about beer taps for use as a gear shift knob, later a package arrived with a note "Since you really don't drink, I thought this was perfect." It's a root beer tap, pretty cool, brass and wood, anyone doing a non-beer themed beer bike? haha

yoothgeye said:
kingfish254 said:

Years ago I contacted a friend of mine that was a bartender and asked about beer taps for use as a gear shift knob, later a package arrived with a note "Since you really don't drink, I thought this was perfect." It's a root beer tap, pretty cool, brass and wood, anyone doing a non-beer themed beer bike? haha

That's funny.
Root beer, birch beer, ginger beer, ginger ale, etc.

Re: Kingfish254's Finds 5/7 An American Picker in Bali

I know that my guide in Bali thought I was crazy today, when I asked him to turn around to go back to a little roadside shop that had a bunch of bike frames stacked out front.

WP_001483.jpg

Here is the local bike repair dude in a small village in central Bali.

WP_001486.jpg

He let me jump into his junky workshop.

WP_001484.jpg

WP_001485.jpg

I was hoping to find some old Brooks like seats or big bike bells. Most of the parts where newer parts. There were some cool full cover chainguards, but I knew I couldn't pack those well. It was fun rumaging through his pile. I really felt like Frank on American Pickers.

Here is what I ended up with. A cool old 56T "TROPICAL" cottered chainring. What a perfect souvenir from Bali. This is going to hang in my shop.
Sorry, I couldn't come up with a nicer backdrop. :wink: This is the rice field view we have from our bedroom patio.
IMG_7207.jpg

He also let me have this beat up motrbike tag
IMG_7205.jpg

Re: Kingfish254's Finds 5/7 An American Picker in Bali

kingfish254 said:
I know that my guide in Bali thought I was crazy today, when I asked him to turn around to go back to a little roadside shop that had a bunch of bike frames stacked out front.

WP_001483.jpg

Yea we know you could smell that place a mile away! We would expect no less! Thats cool. :mrgreen: Tom

Re: Kingfish254's Finds 6/10 Another Anvil + Leather Saddle

I found one even better stash the other night in Yogyakarta, Indonesia. When we arrived in I asked one of the Becak (front ride pedicab) drivers where to find old bike parts. He told me about the night market for secondhand items. Took a taxi for a grand total of $10 including tip and him waiting there for me for 30 minutes. The shop was awesome with a bunch of old wide Brooks like springer saddles and bunches of unusual headbadges and tail reflectors and ......

The only problem was I couldn't get the old guy to bargain with a even $10 and he was asking over ebay prices. I had four seats picked out and about 15 badges and a big bell and some front fender doo dads and rear fender reflectors. I was will to spend about $150 US (which is a LOT of money here) but he was in the $300+ range the whole time.

Here is one of the guys stalls.
IMG_7257.jpg

IMG_7254.jpg

No luck on bike parts in Yogyakarta, but I did buy two more bike frames.
The first one was a replica Becak that I bought outside the Borobudur temple complex.
IMG_7769.jpg

IMG_7770.jpg

Then I bought a penny farthing replica
IMG_7768.jpg

Re: Kingfish254's Finds 5/12 An American Picker in Malaysia

JACKPOT!

Great bike parts day in Malacca, Malaysia today. I went down to Chinatown and while talking to one of the antique merchants I asked about bike parts. I was only 1 block away from a bike repair shop. I thought that I had smelled bike grease in the air!!! :p

No old parts, but check out what I got for less than $30. All brand new parts. I would have bought more, but this was all they had of the seats and bells.
The seats are leather and the bells are really cool. When you push the thumb lever, the entire double sided bell spins and rings.

(TRADED one of the Seats)

IMG_7764.jpg

IMG_7765.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7767.jpg

Beautiful! Both the bike parts and the view. Hope you're having fun.

The view is of the Straits of Malacca on the Malaysian side. Somewhere out there is the island of Sumatra. We drive up to Kuala Lumpur today. One last chance to find another bike parts stash before heading home.

heyslugger said:
Straits of Malacca? Keep an eye out for pirates!

They need to watch out for me! :wink:

I just bought 3 of those bells, they are pretty cool the way they spin. Found them in Ollie's for under $3 each. :mrgreen:

I have one of those bells, but I paid $7 for mine. I'll be interested in see how those saddles work out though.

Those saddles look a whole lot like the one that came on my Flying Pigeon except mine is a lighter shade of brown. The spring up front gives mine A LOT of bounce to it, which I really like. Also that brown "finish" started to crack and show some wear almost immediatley, which I also really like.

I figure I can't go too wrong with $10 saddles. The bells cost about $2 and the horns were $1

Re: Kingfish254's Finds 5/31 Cool Shoemaker's Anvil

IMG_1116.jpg

pooroldlu posted this picture of a shoemaker's anvil and I once I saw it, I went on ebay and bought one for $25 total. I know it will come in handy soon.

Latest posts

Back