Kingfish254's Finds - Over Ten Years of Kingfish Scores!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Kingfish254's Finds - 2/2 Cannondale C400

Yard sales have been weak the past few weeks. I did pick up a lighted stickshift knob for $1.
This week I will be picking up 3 old wooden water skis. I really want to try and make a banana seat out of one, so I picked up a pair of wooden crutches to use as a sissy bar.

Broke down the Fuji cruiser for parts.
The chainring cleaned up pretty well.
WP_001003.jpg

The wheelset and tires where still pretty good. I decided that I am going to sell the Schwinn SS Sport, but only after I remove the cool parts and replace them with parts from the Fuji. I should be able to sell the resulting bike for what I paid for it originally and I get some cool parts.

WP_001005.jpg

kingfish254 said:
Broke down the Fuji cruiser for parts.
The chainring cleaned up pretty well.
WP_001003.jpg

That would be an awesome chain ring to modify into a skip tooth. If it's an even number of teeth just grind every other tooth off. I did it to a huffy and it looked sweet.

Cool idea. That will still work with a regular chain, right?

kingfish254 said:
Cool idea. That will still work with a regular chain, right?

Yes, no problem... unless you want to get technical. Technically it would put more stress on the chainring and less on the chain, but then technically it would put more strain on every other link on the chain, but technically as long as the chain is fully engaging half of the teeth of the chainring, then the stress should be negated, though technically if your chainline is slightly off, you are more likely to throw the chain, about twice as likely, though that's only technically if you already have an alignment issue.

Of course all of these are technicalities, and since when have rat rodders cared about theirs.

Re: Kingfish254's Finds - 2/7 Shifter knob and wood water skis

Here is the lighted shifter knob I picked up for a buck.
Also the wood water skis. I really like the inlay work on the single ski. It is going to make a cool banana seat. My original plan was just to make the seats flat, but I wonder if there is a way to knder cut these with multiple groves that would allow me to curve down the sides and nose of the seat????? Hhhhmmmmmmmmm.

WP_001008.jpg

WP_001006.jpg

Re: Kingfish254's Finds - 2/10 - Univega to flip

Nothing special but should be able to flip it for $100 profit. Univega DS600 with decent components.
(SOLD)
WP_001016.jpg

Re: Kingfish254's Finds - 2/11 Copper Pepper Shaker Light

Cleaned/Tuned up the Univega and put it up for sale.

Picked up a 12 Crescent Wrench and this copper pepper shaker for a buck.
This is the perfect size for an easy tallight/headlight conversion.
Maybe I should turn it around and have a "P" taillight???? :p

WP_001018.jpg

Re: Kingfish254's Finds - 2/11 Sturmey Archer 5 Speed hub

Just finished sending payment for this Sturmey Archer 5 Speed Hub from a fellow RRBer.
The only wheel I ever laced was back around 1973 when I laced up a new rim on the back of my 3 speed Sears Screamer 2.
This should be fun.
(SOLD)

DSCI0413.jpg

Re: Kingfish254's Finds - 2/12 - Sold Univega, Now selling Dahon

Great turnaround on the Univega. Cleared $100 in less than 48 hours. Plus I still have some Ritchey clipless pedals to sell.

Just finished cleaning and tuning one of the bargain Dahon's I bought last year. Just put it on CL and Ebay.
(SOLD)

IMG_4914.jpg

I definitely want to follow this thread.

lildietz said:
I definitely want to follow this thread.

Thanks, but I'm just an old guy that gets a kick out of hunting down bargains and making a little extra coin to pay for my hobby of tinkering with bikes.

I wish I had the time and the space.

You would be surprised at what opportunities are out there. My nieces boyfriend had latched onto my hobby (of deal hunting, not bikes) and has made oppotunististic purchases at yard sales over the past couple of months and has made a couple of thousand off of everything from cookie ovens to horse saddles. He did this with little space and an hour or two every Saturday morning. While values are exaggerated on Auction Hunteres, Storage Wars and American Pickers, there is still some local money to be made out there. It is strange how timing works sometimes. Right after I made arrangements to buy the Univega, I sold an Dremel kit and workstand that I had been selling for a few months. I purchased it for $20 and removed about $30 worth of attachments from it. Then I sold it for $50 one day before I paid $50 for the Univega. It is a fun cycle of money or free stuff as I chose to look at!!!!! :p :lol: It's not about the money, it's about the fun!!!!!

Re: Kingfish254's Finds - 2/17 Schwinn American +2 Emory Mojaves

I think I scored pretty good today. I email most CL yardsales asking if they have any bikes for sale. Here is what I picked up.

Schwinn DeLuxe American
WP_001027.jpg

Two Emory Mojave Sand Cruisers and a random Nishiki road bike. (I may be able to recoup my cost from flipping this one alone).
(SOLD Nishiki)
SOLD Ladies Emory
2012-02-17092533.jpg

Last edited:

Sold one of the blue Dahons for a very nice profit.
I hate it when someone trys to play the "that's all the cash I brought" routine.
I was asking $200 and he offered $175 with that line and he wanted me to give him a lock for it. Even if it's true, why do you go to a $200 purchase without enough money.
I still would have cleared a nice profit, but I knew I had it priced right, so I told him $185 was the best I could do and offered to take him and the bike to the ATM. He buckled. No lock included either.
To me, it wasn't about the $10, it was more a principle thing. I enjoy and expect haggling, but don't play that silly "I didn't bring enough money" game or adding the word "CASH" after the dollar amount. Homey don't play dat!!

kingfish254 said:
To me, it wasn't about the $10, it was more a principle thing. I enjoy and expect haggling, but don't play that silly "I didn't bring enough money" game or adding the word "CASH" after the dollar amount. Homey don't play dat!!

I've called people out on the "that's all the money I brought" game, 1 of them had driven about 2 hours and the other over 3, and I just laughed and said "Well, I can go home and you can go home then" while standing in my yard. Got the point across. One guy pulled out the money and I said "Wow, looks like you had the money after all!" Idiots.

If I go somewhere I will bring the whole amount (plus more, never know what they got) but then still deal with them.

I like the frame on that green cruiser, not your typical cantilever, I'm about canti'd out right now.

I was stoked when he sent the photos and I saw something out of the ordinary.
The dual straight bars are slick.

Re: Kingfish254's Finds - 2/18 4 more bikes plus some Big Apples

Had a good day yard sale-ing today. 4 bikes plus some Schwalbe Big Apple 29er tires from CL

Forgot to take a photo, but I picked up a really nice Specialized HotRock for only $30. It will be on CL tomorrow for a good bit more.

I helped a lady get three bikes out of her attic and she gave them to me.
Small frame Schwinn Collegiate 5 speed.
(SOLD)
WP_001069.jpg

Sears ladies city bike 3 speed
(SOLD)
WP_001065.jpg

Matching Sears men's city bike 3 speed with thumb shifter on drop bars. Back in the day we called these English Racers. Fenders included but missing front wheel.
(SOLD)
WP_001066.jpg

WP_001067.jpg

And finally, I picked up a pair of Schwalbe Big Apple 29er tires for 1/3 the new price.
(TRADED)
WP_001072.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Kingfish254's Finds - 2/18 4 more bikes and Big Apples

Here is the Specialized HotRock full size (23" frame) bike that I picked up for a steal yesterday.
Coming to a craigslist near (or far) from you.
Do you think this was worth the $30 I paid for it???? :p :oops:
(SOLD)

IMG_4927.jpg

Latest posts

Back