RRBBO13 King Ray

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been done before, so nothing too exciting here. I wanted to build an over sized Sting Ray by combining the handle bars and banana seat with a 24 inch frame. I know that Schwinn made a Manta Ray but it had a light weight frame with 1 3/8 inch tires. I wanted the heavier frame like the Krate bikes and Sting Ray used. A good friend of mine happened to have the frame I needed, and he sold it to me for a really great price! Since then I have been collecting parts for it and I'm really close to having all the parts I need to build it. Here's the frame I started with.
20180507_183424.jpg

I'm sure this has been done before, so nothing too exciting here. I wanted to build an over sized Sting Ray by combining the handle bars and banana seat with a 24 inch frame. I know that Schwinn made a Manta Ray but it had a light weight frame with 1 3/8 inch tires. I wanted the heavier frame like the Krate bikes and Sting Ray used. A good friend of mine happened to have the frame I needed, and he sold it to me for a really great price! Since then I have been collecting parts for it and I'm really close to having all the parts I need to build it. Here's the frame I started with.
View attachment 74771

I build a big stingray a few build offs ago. Can’t wait to see yours come to life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the most fun builds I ever had was the 'big boy' sting ray build. As you say, it's been done before, but they all have their own flair and turn out differently. Looking forward to yours!
fourgonefinalphoto.jpg

Adult sized muscle bikes are always cool.
Those forks look like they a cool bend to them. are they stock? They look great.

I think the crank and front sprocket pictured are from a 26" bike. I have a crack from a 20" Fair Lady that I may wind up useing.

That would be the correct sprocket for an early seventies Sting Ray. Good match for the guard too. The earlier bikes had the Lucky Seven sprocket.

Adult sized muscle bikes are always cool.
Those forks look like they a cool bend to them. are they stock? They look great.

Looks like that fork is from a 24x1 3/8 "lightweight" they have thinner, curvier legs.

Looks like you're off to a great start.

That would be the correct sprocket for an early seventies Sting Ray. Good match for the guard too. The earlier bikes had the Lucky Seven sprocket.
That actually does make sense. This fork is narrower than both the 26" Schwinn blade fork I have and my 20" Fair Lady fork. I wasn't planning to do any more mock ups until my fenders arrived, but decided to mount the biggest 24" tires I have on the rims I'll be useing to check for clearance. They are 2.125 and they do fit, but I think a 1.750 would be better. I think the rear will be fine with this size tire, but won't order them until I get the fenders squared away. Here's all the parts I currently have except the had grips.
20180510_180426.jpg
20180510_180450.jpg
20180510_180511.jpg
20180510_180526.jpg
20180510_180534.jpg
20180510_180436.jpg

Looks like that fork is from a 24x1 3/8 "lightweight" they have thinner, curvier legs.

Looks like you're off to a great start.

1.75 front would be close to the Sting Ray setup. Front fender might be a bit high with that fork but you could probably lower it down some. Nice seat! Looking good.

1.75 front would be close to the Sting Ray setup. Front fender might be a bit high with that fork but you could probably lower it down some. Nice seat! Looking good.
Thanks Chad! Man!
I'm really getting anxious for my fenders to get here so I can fit them to the bike! I know I will need to shorten them to make them look the way I want them too.

Schweet

Latest posts

Back