KING KLUNKSTER - Penultimate Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For starters, here’s a before pic taken after I picked it up in 2009
raleigh.jpg

Build thread http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=41899

And here he is now, my first build off bike.

May I present, KING KLUNKSTER

10174196.jpg

60675449.jpg

41596226.jpg

59543773.jpg

40621867.jpg

55261480.jpg

47329410.jpg

24972853.jpg

16462192.jpg

31583802.jpg

50926971.jpg

18264581.jpg

19297181.jpg

For anyone that can't view the photos (they're hosted at imageshack.us which is sometimes blocked), here's a photo bucket link/album http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/gg115/subadrew99/King Klunkster/

It was a nice bike to begin with, but just never was my style. I killed the rear fender wheelying (spelling?) so the fenders were off of it. Then later I just decided I didn't like the look too much so I didn't ride it as often.

The inspiration came around after I picked up the wheels on craigslist in June. I hadn't planned on building this bike, but when I realized I had some pretty sick parts laying around not doing anything, I figured I could build something pretty sweet.

Turns out I built my version of a ferrari. I've ridden it in a chainless downhill race (finished 24th our of hundreds), rode it 20+ miles in a 24 hour race (then switched to a bike with a more comfortable seat), commuted on it, and did a 35 mile ride on it this last tuesday through wind and rain. All this before I had a chance to take some pictures. I'm proud to say it's held up very well =).

Specs:
Frame: 2006 Raleigh Retroglide 7
Fork: 1997 Girvin Cross-Link (from proflex 657) - Started out red, was stripped, then polished
Rear suspension: Bike Control Shockster
wheels: Spinergy Rev x Roks XE
cranks: stock 1 piece
chainring: murray gold i bought from d.rock
rear derailleur: XTR 8 Speed
shifter: XTR
Brakes: XTR
handlebars: clubman motorcycle
grips: gold glitter
seatpost: stock
seat: Bianchi Leopard with logos removed
paint: Duplicolor semi-gloss black

for proof it's rideable =) skip to 3:00 and you'll catch a glimpse of me in the 24 hour race on it in crested butte. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nO_D4t1TI6w

Nice job! And...what the *he*ck kinda G*all Dan*g camera set up did you use to get such ultra defined photos?!!! Not to take away from the great job you did on the bike itself, just saying, dang!

I also like the way it's kinda a combination of modern with a twist of retro. The wheels alone look like a one off. I'd call it a devious manifestation of the rebellious rat with a shot of contemporary aesthetics. Sweet.

OK. We have a were-bike (Fat Rat), a Frankenstein bike. This one reminds me of Dracula: clad in black with underlying sex appeal. Love the wheels & scary backgrounds. ........ I just hope there are no reanimated Egyptian bikes or ugly, misunderstood Phantoms coming up. This build is starting to get scary like Universal in the 30's. A great build, great machine. Good job!

bighit said:
Is that the shockster I was selling?

nope. I ended up finding a brand new in box one for cheap. I remember reading about them in mountain bike action in high school and thinking they look cool, but 3 pounds is a lot of weight on a mtn bike. Not too much weight on a cruiser though. I actually have another one currently on it's way to me and I got another girvin too last week so now I'll be able to make a twin to this bike (yeah,it rides THAT good).

I took the shots with a sony dslr a230 that I got in a trade for a bike. I wish I knew how to use it better actually.

I like the dracula concept =). Thanks for the compliments

This is VERY cool! I'm lovin' the industrial/mechanical/robotic feel to it...really nice job!

(...but do you realize that the word "penultimate" means "second to last"???)

I'm always hoping something better will come. So for now, it's penultimate. Perhaps the parts I got for another one will indeed make the ultimate. Or maybe I just have some changes in mind for this guy that I couldn't do in time. Either way, for now, this is my King.

That bike is insane!!!

Of the three cruisers turned mountain bike/streetfighter, I think this one used the best combination of parts and finish. A modern 3 piece or even a 2 piece crank would take it even further. Got one of my votes.

Wow Drew that thing is awesome Are you going to bring it on the Denver Cruiser ride tonight?

Latest posts

Back