Kent cruiser (Made In England?)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today while I was out with some clients looking at houses, I found this bike in the basement at one and asked if I may have it since the house was to be emptied. "Sure, get it out of the basement and its yours" said the homeowner.

So here it is...maybe you cycle sleuths know more about this than I do...but in the meantime I'll give you the basics...

Sticker just above the bottom bracket reads "Made In England", has a three piece crankset, and the wheels are 26x1-3/8" with a coaster brake rear hub. Looks to be all original and paint is in excellent shape (just a little dusty).

Kent1.jpg

Kent2.jpg

Looks like a Royce Union I have:
collection3008.jpg
They had the bikes made for them by various companies. There were a few european co.'s offering middleweights similar to American bikes. Of course, US middleweights were in response to sales lost-from kids wanting 3 speed touring bikes! -Adam

yeah.i gotta agree that it first looks cool, but also about how cheaper american names had british bikes in their line up, typically english 3speeds. i have a royce union built western flyer 3speed myself. and on a sidenote, the tide has turned for kent, as now they make (or made till this year) the lajolla and avalon comfrt/cruisr bikes sold by next at walmart.

Yeah, it seems like a rather cheap bike in comparison to others...but at least I have a pretty cool frame to work with though the bottom bracket looks a little different compared to most. Maybe its the outer cup on the non-drive side that is throwing me off.

I'll see what happens...that trade for an old road bike still may come to fruition, it may not and if it doesn't I'll just sell, part out or trade it for something else.

the bottom bracket looks a little different compared to most. Maybe its the outer cup on the non-drive side that is throwing me off.
Well, they do have 3 piece cranks like most euro bikes. And yes, most dept. stores started importing their own touring bikes from the early 50's on. -Adam

Latest posts

Back