Kelly Adjustable Handle Bars

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there anyone out there in the vast world of cycling who repo kelly adjustable bars and the stem? I want a pair soo bad but it looks like id have to make em?

When I wanted that bike ,I looked for the bars too. They weren't real popular I guess , because after an extensive search I never found a set. Those have really cool bends , that make them work with the adjustability of the design. They have a thing welded on the front with the gear looking thing where they won't slide when you adjust them. I know someone could build a set. It might be hard to get the bends right. They are a cool looking. :cry:
1910piercechainlesscl13.jpg

1910piercechainlesscl2.jpg

Im surprised that they werent too popular, they are gorgeous! Man, what I would do to have a bike like that, it makes me sad to think that weve reverted from beutiful craftsmanship like that to those wally world china bikes :(

I found this article on line from back in the day

THE KELLY HANDLEBAR COMPANY.

Adjustable handlebars are now not only the usual equipment of highest grade bicycles, but the riders of medium and lower priced machines are coming to demand that the same convenience be allowed also to them. This is quite reasonable, since there are a number of makes on the market, and the additional cost is so slight as to be unfelt. A worthy pioneer is the Kelly, made by the Kelly Handlebar Company, of Cleveland, Ohio. Its introduction dates back to 1895. The essential feature of this design is a divided bar with sections

pivotally connected to the stem, and provided with serrations which engage and interlock with corresponding parts in the head of the machine, being held from slipping by means of a clamping bolt. This bolt has, for 1900, taken the place of the old-time cap-screw with good effect. All working parts are made from dropsteel forgings, and the stem is of metal untouched by fire after forging. Thousands of these bars are in satisfactory use in the United States alone.

EDWARD MILLER * COMPANY.

The makers of the Majestic and Everlit acetylene gas lamps brought to the cycle accessories field, five years ago, a half century's successful experience in general lamp manufacture. Oil lights were the sole output of this concern in the cycle line until the season of 1899, when the acetylene gas type was taken up, and so satisfactory has the latter proven that for 1900 it has entirely superseded the older models. In the Majestic for this year the water reservoir is built below the combustion chamber, where it is not affected by the upward radiating heat from the flame. The carbide cup has corrugations at the side marked to indicate the amount of fresh carbide needed for one, two, three or four hours' riding, thus enabling one to calculate very near the expected consumption of carbide and supply accordingly. By this means useless waste is guarded against, and the lamp easily cleaned after each ride without removal of accumulated refuse.

The Prowler.

The funny part is they said the guy sold 2 million Kelly Bars and there isn't zip about the company. He changed the company and started making reamers. :cry:

Now that I've got this Racycle that I'm building, these Kelly bars have come big time onto my radar. After scouring the internet, I've decided to try to make a set. Maybe this bump will help me in one area, namely, in looking for those large washer pieces that have ridges and grooves to lock the handlebars in position.

Can anyone think of what I could use there to lock the bars in place, should I build them? Lars and I talked about using castle nuts turned towards each other, but that would be a clumsy version. There's got to be some other non-bicycle device that uses something like those. Take a look at these close up shots from The Cabe: http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/showthread ... handlebars

What could I use for those locking pieces? Ideas?

Troy Built garden tillers, and maybe others, use a sort of toothed washer to hold the handles at the angle you set.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=troy ... 0007100004

Maybe that will help. A particularly aggressive set of seat gut washers might work also. Something like this,

seatguts.jpg

Keep us posted!! :D

Dang it!! where else have I seen those? Something cast, and a PITA to adjust. GRRRR. I'll remember about 2:00 in the morning! :lol:

jackdaw said:
Troy Built garden tillers, and maybe others, use a sort of toothed washer to hold the handles at the angle you set.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=troy ... 0007100004

Maybe that will help. A particularly aggressive set of seat gut washers might work also. Something like this,

seatguts.jpg

Keep us posted!! :D

Dang it!! where else have I seen those? Something cast, and a PITA to adjust. GRRRR. I'll remember about 2:00 in the morning! :lol:

Hmm. I wish that diagram was clearer. I can't make much out.

Yes, seat post guts have come up as an option. I've sort of come up with a design that would use them, but it would be kind of bulky. As you say, there's got to be something else that uses something like that.

Wow, those are AMAZING :shock:

After seeing all these beautiful old designs of bicycles I am absolutely disgusted with all these new bikes. What happened to these wonderful bikes? Did every bike manufacturer in the world stop caring about quality and beauty and simply focus on building the cheapest junk they can get away with and focus solely on the money?

The cost of that bike was like a bike thats as expensive as a car now.
Not sure but I don't think there are a bunch of Pierce bikes around. I have seen one for sale
in Gorgia and I almost killed myself to try to get it. The guy wouldn't ship or even take it to
a bike shop that would ,and I was afraid if I asked anyone to buy it for me , I would loose the
deal. The guy finally wouldn't talk to my anymore. Oh well.
I always though you could find someone with a mill and have him make the two parts with
some ends that would slip in to tubing and build some like that. Just never got to it.
Really I think you could find a unicorn easier. :wink:

I don't know if you'd ever find anything like this but it is the handle joint on a drawknife.

drawknifehandle.jpg

There is still something in my head but I can't remember what it is. :roll: :x

jackdaw said:
I don't know if you'd ever find anything like this but it is the handle joint on a drawknife.

There is still something in my head but I can't remember what it is. :roll: :x

What's a drawknife?

Today I saw this drum stand at the thrift store. It swiveled, and had a perfect toothed joint!

IMG_0943.jpg

If this had been build to hold two drums, I could easily make it work. As it is, it got me re-fired up, but I saw no way to make it work, and left without buying it. Now I'm looking at drum kit stands on-line to see if there's a twin-drum version. :)

Grr! There's something out there! I've just gotta find it.

Check bikeworldusa.com.
"Hubs" section 2nd page scalloped washers there and 2nd page of "nuts and bolts" serrated washers
Mabey?

Latest posts

Back