Keep Moving, There's Nothing To See Here THE HENDEE SPECIAL

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been way too cold to do any painting on my other bike, so I decided to start chopping up this one. It's a Schwinn heavy duty that I picked up about two years ago. It started off life as a delivery vehicle for an Italian restaurant in New Orleans. Every time I cut or grind on the metal I can smell spaghetti. I didn't find out until well after I bought it that it was under salt water during Hurricane Katrina. I knew it was a little rusty but not this bad. First thing I had to do was cut the chain stays off so I can make new ones.
20180110_180617_HDR-1-1.jpg

Last edited:
The seatpost was rusted in. I've spent months soaking this in all sorts of oils, hitting it with a hammer, you name it, it would not budge. I did not want to use a torch because that can weaken and warp the metal. So I decided to use my cutting wheel and cut the back of the tube including the seat post and try soaking it more. And wouldn't you know it worked. Now I just need to weld up the tube and you will never know.

20180110_191653-1.jpg

Why spend 60 bucks when I can build it for free? For me, it's all about the build, not about someone else doing all the work and all I did was bolt it together. Luckily for me, I have the tools and the time to work on these projects. If I didn't, I'd be buying a nice frame to start with.

I have one of those frames that has several problems but the chain stays are good. I can hack off the chain stays and send them, just pay the shipping. PM me if interested.

I have no idea what they painted this frame with but I think they mixed some kryptonite with it. Usually I can just use my drill with a wire brush but it won't touch it. This is the first time I've had to buy some paint stripper on a frame. Shesh!

Must be some industrial strength powdercoating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, I'm starting to think this was powder coated. It is a heavy duty so I take it even the paint is heavy duty.

Got a pile of new parts yesterday but I really want to run an old school springer. I have an original 50's Schwinn Springer but if I can find something cooler I'd use that.

After about 45 minutes of using the grinder and the wire wheel this is all the paint I got off. It takes heavy duty paint stripper to remove the heavy duty paint.

Screenshot_2018-01-30-16-38-09-1.png

:43:

I appreciate your dedication...but, you do know that chuck sells these for ~$60 fairly regularly :grin:

Another epic rot repair thread :113:
Jason
Well, I might be following your suggestion. My frame keeps getting worse with the more paint that I remove. Just found another rotted and cracked tube. At this point I don't think this Frame will be safe. Either that or I have to change every tube and I might as well just have bought a new one. Ugh!!

I might be taking this build in a different direction. One of my heroes is George Hendee, the founder of Indian bicycles and motorcycles. Plus, Hendee is on my dad's side of the family. I'm thinking of building a 1912 Hendee inspired motorbike. It will not say Indian on the tank but instead it will say Hendee, to honor my favorite grandparents ever.

20180304_153559.jpg

20180304_153534.jpg

I'm in the process of building the motor mount plate. It'll be much stronger than the cheap mounts that come with these engines.

Latest posts

Back