JUSTIFIED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanx for that was going to ask you. I have wrapped it in tape 2 types and then will rub wax on it. I did some research it says the fiberglass will melt it as it heats up. And to use acetone to melt out the mold. I might even wrap some foil around it... picked up all the stuff today.
I still can't see the pics, are you making a mold or glassing over the actual piece?

I still can't see the pics, are you making a mold or glassing over the actual piece?
27157554_10155477567644811_1502653091_n.jpg
27044550_10155477568259811_1465657196_n.jpg

This is the base. Will fiber on top.

The Renaissance Man you think it will work?
I took 2 different types of fiber cloth.
I guess I will find out when I start,still need to weld bars in and contour the bottom to them first.
Hardware was out of pipes so i think I found some.Will check what suits better,solid rods or hollow.

It won't work as it sits, but I'm assuming you are not finished. Just make sure that the resin cannot get to the foam at all!

Unless your using mold release wax, regular wax may or may not do much if your goal is to completely remove the buck from the glass, but certainly won't hurt if it is buffed off. Not sure how the tape will behave.

Good Luck!

I imagine you're probably using polyester resin to wet out the glass, but epoxy would not eat the foam. However, it will stick to it, so the styrofoam could be dissolved with acetone after the epoxy is fully cured (I'd wait a few weeks) if you don't mind the mess and fumes, or you could use mold release or even just wrap the styrofoam in Saran wrap (polyethylene food coveringโ€”I don't know what brands you'd have there). Epoxy is also much better to deal with in terms of fumes, but it is more expensive and you'd probably have to buy way too much for a small project (though, it lasts indefinitely as long as the components are separated so it could be used on future projects).

Got it,so cover it all,cling wrap sounds the best. I read that you can use paraffin wax of grease proof paper. I dont need the shape after it is finished,besides foam is free here,all the off cuts from the building sites.So if at first I don't succeed,try again...

neotex-pe-6tc-%CF%80%CE%BF%CE%BB%CF%85%CE%B5%CF%83%CF%84%CE%AD%CF%81%CE%B1%CF%82-1kg.jpg

Not sure if we have epoxy resin here,but might dash to the boat shop and check...

Boat places are where you'd most likely find itโ€”I've used it on wood kayaks (West Systems 105, but that's just the brand and type I used). But it's a lot more expensive than polyester, so it might not be worth it IMO unless you're planning a lot more projects that could use it (it's a great product, but anything sold in a boat place or that says "marine use" or even so much as looks like it probably doesn't hate water will not be cheap).

Thanx Duchess and The Renaissance Man. Spoke to a mate here who fixed his boat. He says we do have epoxy but is $$$$. He said just use the poly. Anyway it is to cold unless I get this fire going...
I guess I will learn as I go along at the moment it has just cost me $20,so I am sure it wont break the bank. I have wrapped the foam in tape,then cling wrap then tape... So I should be able to cut/pull most of the foam out and strip away the layers of tape. Dont mind if some are left inside,it's the outside that has to look like the bees knees...

Seems very quite this year in the winter build-off.
Maybe you guys are still frozen solid from the bomb cyclone.:grin:
or have way too many bikes.

I am a student and there is end of the semester now, so i'm surprised i find any time for building my bikes at all :D

I noticed that too. Hopefully it will pick up as people's bikes start thawing out next month. ;-)

Hold the press... my frame is in Chicago!
I'll be picking it up Saturday (I hope)
Now I gotta scrounge up some jack cuz
there's a couple pieces I still gotta buy...
So yeah it's time to pick up the pace.

Carl.

Been trying to source some tubes,I would have to order them and that would take weeks... But might have solved the issue with some, that I cut off a bike years ago. Might get a chance to see if they fit later today.
But I did just find a excellent seat for the bike.
Will take a mth maybe to get here,so hope it fits,might need to make sure I have a backup in place.
images
511EqBTkzfL.jpg

That's an odd seat mount. I wonder how heavy duti that front pivot will be...

Carl.

I'm with Carl. While that saddle's center suspension is very interesting, it doesn't look particularly stout.

The seat is very common on old cyclomotors(nsu,wander,etc)...
Thankfully I have been losing weight this winter...:grin:

Last few days I have been twiddling with bits.
Manage to bash the bends out on the guards,so they are not scraping the tires.Also the front rack.
I have been playing with the rear wheel to see if it fits. It originally had a 6-7 cassette on it,to wide so I have made it a single for now.
Seems like the rear of the frame is not centered exactly...
So first thing is to do a little bending out on the right side.

27400141_10155492773329811_1158569242_n.jpg

Once I have the rear all sorted,I will then attack the top bars...
I either leave them somewhat straightish,(as I can use the top part of the tank to give the bike more shape. Or I bend them?
27484807_10155492773834811_115647076_o.jpg
Something like this.You wont see the top bars anyway,they are there just to hold the tank.
27484807_10155492773834811_115647076_o.jpg

Because I have to widen the rear stay and cut it away from them to weld in the top bars,I might just see if I can curve that seat stay back more. Just a thought.
If I wanted to fit the rack on I will certainly have to squeeze it between the fork struts.
Don't know about justified,but it would be fully loaded.
27605202_10155492773639811_1222227822_o.jpg

That's a pretty cool seat suspension.

Latest posts

Back