Just picked up this Fastback!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought this Schwinn Fastback. The bike is very rough and before I spend any money making it ridable again I want to check to see how original it is. The frame is dated Nov 1966 (LM55664) what other parts should have date codes I can check? Any help would be greatly appreaciated!

Looks like all original parts to me.
Should be dated on the bars, gooseneck, and crank. Also the front axle may have a stamp on it too. (I'm not sure) Looks like the front fender is missing.

The chrome parts may not clean up perfect but they should clean up some. Parts are easy to find. But can get pricey. Not as expensive as krates though. Nice find.

The 66 catalog pic shows a chain wheel like a Ross bike. I haven't ever seen that on a Schwinn, yours is the type I've seen.
1966dlr_Sting_Ray_Fastback.JPG

The 67 catalog shows it with the mag sprocket, so I think they switched to that during the year, that's why your November bike has it.

1967dlr_Fastback.jpg

I agree with odder, it's looks like you have the whole bike there

LM would be 1976, are you sure that's the right serial number? It should be LB for Nov 66.

Good find , I have a set of tires , fenders and a derailer, let me kno if you need ?

And that also shows it was late November with that high number, so that probably is the right chain wheel and everything.

And that also shows it was late November with that high number, so that probably is the right chain wheel and everything.
Also explains the 67 shifter.
Clean it up and ride it man!

Im leaning towards doing just that odder! There's a car show here next month that always draws some bicycle venders. I'll see what these go for in such rough condition and go from there...It would be cool to keep it as original as I can. Chain is trashed and Im not sure if the derailleur is functional. All the bearings are either stuck or very stiff. I'll post updates as things progress! Thanks guys!

I have saved a couple in worse shape. You can do it.

The last one I had that was that bad or worse I sprayed some penetrating oil on all the parts to be loosened and then wrapped the entire bike in Saran Wrap. Then put it in the attic of the garage for a month in the summer. When I pulled it down it almost fell apart. :grin:
Well, maybe not that easy. But it was way easier.

That's a cool bike roadwarrior! and that's probably where this one will wind up. A friend of mine has a lemon peeler and a fair lady in his collection that he went this route on. He enjoys them for what they are and rides them!

I took the front axle apart. Everything looks okay so it should go back together fine. The hub is engraved "Schwinn approved made in France e" I then looked at the rear hub it is engraved " Schwinn approved made in France g". Does the letter "e" and "g" after France mean anything to anyone here?

Latest posts

Back