Just Picked This Up: 1941 Wards Hawthorne. I think?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I just started researching old bikes a few weeks ago and found this guy on Craigslist. It looked like a good deal, so I bought it.

Mechanically it is solid. The previous owner had everything overhauled. The wheels were rebuilt with DT spokes.

Someone did a pretty poor paint job on it at some point.

From what the seller told me, and from what I've seen online this is a 1941 Wards Hawthorne.

But the pictures I've seen of this year/make/model show springs on the trusses. So is my bike missing stuff?

Is it worth repainting and rechroming - or should I just ride it?

I plan to make this living room art and an around town cruiser.

Thanks!

And since this is my first post, I am still trying to figure out how to post pics. Stay tuned. :)

Edit - can images be posted directly or do i need to use a photo site like google picasa?

ratina said:
no, it says page not found
thanks. Google didnt like that album for some reason, so I moved them to another album.

lets try again.

IMG_3099.JPG

IMG_3101.JPG

IMG_3110.JPG

thanks. I was able to make out the numbers, but not the letter on the serial number.

What I noticed was all the numbers were inline with each other - but there were other marking on the BB, not inline. Are the letters contiguous with the numbers, or are they placed separately?

This is what I have 33917

edit - the upper rear fender mount is curved, not straight. I read somewhere that helps ID the manufacturer...

Heres's the best pic I have of the BB. As you will notice, there is not discernable letter before the number sequence. There are other markings on the BB - but nothing I can make out.

IMG_3117.JPG

ratina said:
There should be a letter followed by 5 numbers. I think its Cleveland Welding built, so there should be a big C with a small w inside of it to the right of the serial number

Actually, the 'Cw' series started around 1947. I'm going to guess this is a Snyder built bike, due to the spaced out numbers, and no 'gills' (vents) in the tank. However, Phil is the Sensei on those! -Adam

Latest posts

Back