Just getting started... want to build a Klunker

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm a longtime bike guy (not mechanic)

Like most of you, I suspect, I grew up on a bike... The neighborhood pack rode everywhere and BMX & Cruisers were the bikes to have.

Most memorable bikes...
The first bike: I really loved was a Ross Snapper.... I only loved it because it was mine... that thing was a TANK

Favorite Bike: I then saved up and bought a Kos Kruiser... I rode BMX, worked a paper route, did everything on this bike ... sooo good, but I don't miss the UNI seat/post...

First Mountain Bike: Trek 7000... Loved the aluminium frame and INSTANT power transfer... oh and with gears this thing could fly

Front Suspension: Klein Pulse Pro... stiff, fast, stiff, efficient and did I mention stiff?

Full Suspension: Yeti Kokopelli nice balance and that yeti magical ride, I still have this hanging in the garage

Anyways I ran across an image of a strange bike and it's kinda been haunting me... I want it, not EXACTLY it, but something along those lines... I knew it was a Worksman (My older brother had one and I rode it often) but looks so much cooler than the old foam widebar wheelie machine I knew.

3704869924_ea6cc9615f_o.jpg

After poking around a little bit and finding this place, I have decided that I'm going to jump in and build either a Worksman or Schwinn Straightbar version of this bike. So if I'm going to do that I figured I ought to stop lurking and say hi.

My goals
1) Build a solid / tight / fun cruiser (I'd like it to feel high performance) No wallowee cranks or creaking sloppy headset
2) Keep the cost to a dull roar
3) Keep it usable, not a garage queen
4) Learn some bike mechanics skills

I'm located in S Florida and am just now trying to find a good donor frame/bike. If I use an older bike, I kinda just want to find a frame, because I'm not really interested in using the other parts or reducing the survivor bike population. (although I think finding an old bike in S. Florida is gonna be a real pain)

Anyway... advice and ideas are welcome.

Welcome aboard. Check the for sale section here first.

I complained about not being able to find an old bike in Oahu, and a 42 Hawthorne showed up on Craigslist.
42646_a88387b536a06cac206417d40381e32d.jpg

I added a seat, but that's how it sat when I got it. Then I did some mods like you were talking about. The old heavy cranks, drive train, handlebars and forks were all saved and it got 3 piece cranks, 3 speeds, alloy wheels and new tires to make this:
24294319_1666649413356523_2247745831726190212_n (1) - Copy.jpg

So, Craigslist might be the best place to look. In the bikes or bike parts sections, type in "vintage"
to get a look, but people might overprice them. You may find a good old one cheap because some people don't care about old bikes.

Attachments

• DSCI0104 - Copy.JPG
    DSCI0104 - Copy.JPG
    471.9 KB · Views: 154
k
Hey I'm a longtime bike guy (not mechanic)

Like most of you, I suspect, I grew up on a bike... The neighborhood pack rode everywhere and BMX & Cruisers were the bikes to have.

Most memorable bikes...
The first bike: I really loved was a Ross Snapper.... I only loved it because it was mine... that thing was a TANK

Favorite Bike: I then saved up and bought a Kos Kruiser... I rode BMX, worked a paper route, did everything on this bike ... sooo good, but I don't miss the UNI seat/post...

First Mountain Bike: Trek 7000... Loved the aluminium frame and INSTANT power transfer... oh and with gears this thing could fly

Front Suspension: Klein Pulse Pro... stiff, fast, stiff, efficient and did I mention stiff?

Full Suspension: Yeti Kokopelli nice balance and that yeti magical ride, I still have this hanging in the garage

Anyways I ran across an image of a strange bike and it's kinda been haunting me... I want it, not EXACTLY it, but something along those lines... I knew it was a Worksman (My older brother had one and I rode it often) but looks so much cooler than the old foam widebar wheelie machine I knew.

3704869924_ea6cc9615f_o.jpg

After poking around a little bit and finding this place, I have decided that I'm going to jump in and build either a Worksman or Schwinn Straightbar version of this bike. So if I'm going to do that I figured I ought to stop lurking and say hi.

My goals
1) Build a solid / tight / fun cruiser (I'd like it to feel high performance) No wallowee cranks or creaking sloppy headset
2) Keep the cost to a dull roar
3) Keep it usable, not a garage queen
4) Learn some bike mechanics skills

I'm located in S Florida and am just now trying to find a good donor frame/bike. If I use an older bike, I kinda just want to find a frame, because I'm not really interested in using the other parts or reducing the survivor bike population. (although I think finding an old bike in S. Florida is gonna be a real pain)

Anyway... advice and ideas are welcome.

Welcome!

Anything attached to the words Schwinn and Vintage will cost you your first born. At least out here in Cali it does, I don’t get it. I got my Worksman frame from Chuck (username Ind-Chuckz) Check the sale section he’s always got one for sale. Got it as a frame and fork. Built it up as a BMX Cruiser, it’s a tank and I love it.

ba70b3ad2a7a7bc013709c7c50089574.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome. There is some great examples of the style of bike you aim to build here on the site. I also found clunkers.net to be a nice resource.
On the mechanics side, these days YouTube is a wealth of knowledge.
Have fun buildin and riding!

Concur! Ind-Chuckz has the best deals, I bought an INB frame from him awhile back.

That SRAM 2 speed auto looks great on there. I had two of them, both stayed back in the Philippines.

Welcome! I’m currently building a klunker right now. I just painted it yesterday do I’m going to give it a few days to cure but I should have it together by next weekend.
My frame is a Schwinn Heavy Duti that I bought from Ind-chuckz as well. Here’s a shot from painting yesterday. Everything else on it will be updated with a sealed cartridge 3 piece B.B. as well as a sealed cartridge headset. I’ll have a finished thread with some pictures next week or so.

Attachments

• 2076B18F-9C3C-421C-8E49-08A3203D456D.jpeg
    2076B18F-9C3C-421C-8E49-08A3203D456D.jpeg
    409.5 KB · Views: 181
This looks like it's going to be the starting point.
index.php

Need to figure out how to clean it up and treat the rust. I think I want to keep the frame old looking, but put nice new components on it.

Ideally
I'd like to put on 27's and a single rear disk brake (adapter or have one welded on) BMX 3 piece cranks, threadless rigid fork, and BMX bars. Hopefully end up with a cool looking "old" bike that rides nice...

It's hard to find an old threadless rigid MTB fork...

k

Welcome!

Anything attached to the words Schwinn and Vintage will cost you your first born. At least out here in Cali it does, I don’t get it. I got my Worksman frame from Chuck (username Ind-Chuckz) Check the sale section he’s always got one for sale. Got it as a frame and fork. Built it up as a BMX Cruiser, it’s a tank and I love it.

Just saw some of the cool stuff you are building... that Kos Kruiser replica is SICK! One question, Why didn't you replicate Vector bars? I had those on my Kos.... so good!

CSB
I kept the Kos Kruiser deep into my 30's. I just never rode it and never thought to refurb it. Was in love with MTBs...kinda still am. Anyway, I had a place in Jupiter Florida... a wealthy area surrounded by agriculture and immigrant communities. I saw so many young Guatemalan kids walking to school, so one day I pumped up the tires, lubed it up and took the Kos to Center Street. I gave the bike to the first kid to walk by on his way to school. I figured I had ridden it so much and it meant so much to me that I wanted it to go to another young kid who would treasure it like I did... 26" Kos Kruiser, Vector Bars, Suntour Beartraps, Uni seatpost/seat, Hollow 1 piece crank.... I hope that little dude enjoyed it..." /csb

No stickers though, I stripped those off after the first year, so gaudy!

Just saw some of the cool stuff you are building... that Kos Kruiser replica is SICK! One question, Why didn't you replicate Vector bars? I had those on my Kos.... so good!

CSB
I kept the Kos Kruiser deep into my 30's. I just never rode it and never thought to refurb it. Was in love with MTBs...kinda still am. Anyway, I had a place in Jupiter Florida... a wealthy area surrounded by agriculture and immigrant communities. I saw so many young Guatemalan kids walking to school, so one day I pumped up the tires, lubed it up and took the Kos to Center Street. I gave the bike to the first kid to walk by on his way to school. I figured I had ridden it so much and it meant so much to me that I wanted it to go to another young kid who would treasure it like I did... 26" Kos Kruiser, Vector Bars, Suntour Beartraps, Uni seatpost/seat, Hollow 1 piece crank.... I hope that little dude enjoyed it..." /csb

No stickers though, I stripped those off after the first year, so gaudy!

If I had the skills and machinery to replicate some big boy vector bars I would. Not a fan of that stem though.
You picked up a good frame, easy to build up and they make good comfortable rigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back