Just another 26" Schwinn Cruiser Build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do the 2.5s clear the chainstays?

Those Giant-built (Taiwan) Schwinn cruisers are awesome; some guys actually prefer them to the Chicago-built canti frames. I´m fan of those forks, but the steerer is too short to run on a Chicago frame without some fab-work, so there ya go. Looks good so far! :113:

Do the 2.5s clear the chainstays?

Those Giant-built (Taiwan) Schwinn cruisers are awesome; some guys actually prefer them to the Chicago-built canti frames. I´m fan of those forks, but the steerer is too short to run on a Chicago frame without some fab-work, so there ya go. Looks good so far! :113:
Yes, plenty of room with room to spare! These frames have wide seat/chain stays for sure.

IMG_3553.JPG
IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3556.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3559.JPG
Made a new brake bridge out thick wall chromoly, and yes, the factory one is that crooked. My idea is to get the brake bridge as close as possible to the tire when it's in it's forward location in the drop outs. Reason being is my son is now saying let's do a freewheel!
I mocked up a set of Dia Compe MX 1000's, think it will work!

Last edited:
IMG_3623.PNG
Almost forgot my cool hook up today. I sent an email to S&M bikes regarding their Husky 4 Speed MX bars, asking if they would make me a set without the BMX crossbar. The sales guy, ARNOLD, right away responded, he has these cruiser bars they made sitting in the shop, almost identical specs as the Husky 4 Speed MX bars, but no cross bar, they are bare steel. He sales them to me for $30.00, and ships them today. Full .065" wall chromoly! I will need to send them out for chrome. Typical great service from S&M!

Cool yellow , did you turn 50 this year buy chance ?

IMG_3602.JPG
IMG_3603.JPG
IMG_3604.JPG
First problem- dropouts are welded at different heights from factory, front tire leans to one side, didn't notice during disassembly, must have been tilted and tightened to compensate for difference in height. Took some filing, but we fixed it.

Last edited:
IMG_3605.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG
So this is where it's at now, but I'm going to be changing a few things. The red brake cable is changing to black, the red I had in my parts, but decided I don't like it, so changing to black. As you can see I ran the brake cable in the top tube, I drilled and filed slots prior to powder coat, but was in a hurry, so I didn't snap any pictures. I'm changing out the crank arms and sprocket as well. The wheelset we spent so much time on is going to be repurposed down the road, I threw on a set of SE Racing take offs, chrome doublewall aluminum rims, stainless spokes, Mohawk hubs with sealed bearings. Updates to follow as I change out parts.

IMG_3610.JPG
IMG_3611.JPG
IMG_3612.JPG
IMG_3613.JPG
IMG_3614.JPG
IMG_3615.JPG
IMG_3621.JPG
IMG_3622.JPG
Okay, I think we got a finished product except changing out the bars eventually, they are definitely not comfortable bars! I'll need to get the S&M bars I posted earlier chromed. Using a really nice Sakae(SR) stem, puts the bars up and out a bit, Schwinn headset, Schwinn bottom bracket with Ashtabula cranks that are out of my inventory of stuff I had new manganese phosphate converted, chrome NOS spider, and red ano 41 tooth sprocket that matches the White industries freewheel bearing cover, pedals are just barefoot pedals, Dia Compe Tech 77 locking lever, new reissue MX1000's, kool stop Eagle twos, oddeyssey slick cable, newer Schwinn cruiser seat, grips are out of my extra parts, Also put some aluminum frame/dropout savers on it that I had my dad machine up with stainless steel washers countersunk, I used un flanged chromed 3/8-26 t nuts to finish it off, oddessey chain with halflink end, so I'm not running a master link, I actually pressed the pin back in through the the links. Worked out nice.

Last edited:
Man this thing is lookin sweet! with that color and those forks you gotta put a "heavy duti" tribute on it somewhere. :cool2:

That bike is anything but plain. This is a time for subtlety. It has the Schwinn badge and seat tube decal--anything more might misdirect attention from the craftmanship.

Latest posts

Back