• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to RatRodBikes and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Jamb nut for vintage Schwinn springer - FOUND

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Hey all,
I tore apart my vintage non-locking springer for restoration and managed to lose the jamb nut that goes on the pivot bolt.

It seems to be an odd size/tpi that I can't seem to find one at the hardware store to fit.

Here's a pic of the assembly, it's the nut that goes on part # 2845.

Even if you happen to know the spec on it, even that would help.

If you've got a spare one with or without the bolt, please let me know.

Cheers,
Rob
f912fe157a0bd25ac09962ea5f707b22.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats!

Did you determine what the actual threads were? I find it very hard to believe that it was originally metric...I would be more likely to believe it was an oddball standard size like...25/64"-20.

Jason

From what I've been told, Schwinn imported these from Europe (so they wouldn't be copied).
The belief is they are ~10mm-1.25.
I have an original nut and a spare bolt/nut on the way.
For giggles, in a late night eBay surfing session, I ordered a bag of M10-1.25 Nylocks. I'll try one, if it doesn't fit, I'll just add them to my stash

From what I've been told, Schwinn imported these from Europe (so they wouldn't be copied).
I'm skeptical of that claim. Though we still haven't adopted it, we've never been ignorant (just stubborn :grin:) of the metric system (we = USA). The US has been involved in the development since late 1700s/early 1800s. It was authorized for use in the 1860s. The first edition of the Machinery's Handbook in 1914 has metric threading in it. There would be no need to import from Europe or any 'gotcha' value from from using metric. Mexico has been compulsory metric since the 1890s.

A 25/64" -20 is ~.3906" diameter, 20 threads per inch
A M10 x 1.25mm is ~.3937" diameter, 20.32 threads per inch

One will thread in to the other, but...will eventually seize when the depth of the female threads gets to a certain depth. With a nut, it may just feel tighter than the normal sloppy fitting mass produced fasteners.

If all the other fasteners on the springer were metric, I'd believe an M10. But, if they are all standard...I would think it would have to be 25/64". Real world, however, is if you have to replace one or the other (nut or bolt)...find yourself both in M10, because I doubt a person is going to find 25/64" fasteners without having them custom made ($$$ :confused:).

My 2cents,
Jason

Well said Jason.
Fortunately I think I've got myself covered.

Thing that frustrates me is, the original is in my shop/basement SOMEWHERE.....but in order to find it....I need to buy another.....[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Thing that frustrates me is, the original is in my shop/basement SOMEWHERE.....but in order to find it....I need to buy another.....[emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]
That is generally how it works...it will probably show up soon after you get it all back together, then d'oh! :doh: :bigsmile:

If I ever get an old unmolested Schwinn springer, I'll definitely be taking a thread gauge to it :grin:,
Jason

Latest posts

Back