jackshaft from coaster hub?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Is it possible to use a coaster brake hub to build a jackshaft?
I have this idea in my head and I wondered if anyone has done it before, I haven't been able to find anything other than freewheels.

I have seen it done. My main concern with the idea is when people use it for the braking too, yes normally there is a load through the chain on a coaster brake, but nothing compared to the load the rear chain would experience with the brake at the jackshaft.

Luke.

That's one of the things I wondered about.
I'm basically just designing in my head, but I'm hoping for clean lines. Maybe I can hide cables in the frame.

Aren't most coaster brake trikes set up this way? Agree that one would assume a tremendous amount of force is transferred to the aft chain, but I've yet to see one that failed.

I have a worksman porta trike. It has a three speed hub with two sprockets on it, one linked to the chain ring the other linked to a coaster brake hub.

I'm wanting to do something like that, but without the three speed.

I also have a trike, a Torker TriStar, that came with a three-speed coaster brake hub, with a second chain to the rear axle. I've since converted to a five speed Sturmey Archer set up the same way.

I'm actually thinking about doing something like that when I build myself a bike with REALLY wide tires, just to shift the chain line out enough to clear.

I also have a trike, a Torker TriStar, that came with a three-speed coaster brake hub, with a second chain to the rear axle. I've since converted to a five speed Sturmey Archer set up the same way.

I'm actually thinking about doing something like that when I build myself a bike with REALLY wide tires, just to shift the chain line out enough to clear.

My worksman trike has a three speed coaster set up like that. Its the reason I asked the question, I figured if it could be done with a three speed, then why not a single speed?

If you are looking for a good jack shaft set up look on the go cart parts sites the have all the stuff, plus the Comit clutches i'v been using for 20 yrs now

If you are looking for a good jack shaft set up look on the go cart parts sites the have all the stuff, plus the Comit clutches i'v been using for 20 yrs now
Yea, I've been looking around. I think I have something that will work, but haven't tested anything yet.

Digging this back up.

Now I'm looking for something similar to the 3 speed trike hubs, but I want more gears.
Can't seem to find anything.

Anyone know if this type of hub comes in 5-8 speed?

The hub you want is called the TS-RC5. You'll need to mount it on a rear end wide enough to accept a 127mm OLD hub. I've seen these sold as "Sun" but the hub itself will be marked Sturmey-Archer.

Sure, but depending on your trike, it's gotta be mounted SOMEwhere; some prebuilt trikes have 110 or 116mm between the mounts for the diff/jackshaft. Others are wider, or adjustable. I know tht the trikes i've worked on most, the Worksman Port-oTrike, they'd have trouble accepting that hub without modification.

Sure, but depending on your trike, it's gotta be mounted SOMEwhere; some prebuilt trikes have 110 or 116mm between the mounts for the diff/jackshaft. Others are wider, or adjustable. I know tht the trikes i've worked on most, the Worksman Port-oTrike, they'd have trouble accepting that hub without modification.
It'll be a scratch frame build, so hub spacing isn't an issue.
Just designing in my head right now, and I'm sure we all know how well that always works.

It'll be a scratch frame build, so hub spacing isn't an issue.
Just designing in my head right now, and I'm sure we all know how well that always works.

I think that works pretty well, so long as you're thorough in the thought process. Are you building a trike, or do you wanna use a jackshaft for some sort of elaborate drivetrain on a 2 wheeler?

PS- If you want to get really weird with it, the hubs marked "QS-RC5" also have a reverse gear....

Latest posts

Back