J.C Higgins Rat. Year Needed, Photo Heavy.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Alright I finally got a Color-Flow, but did I is the question. any info you can tell me about this bike would be awesome, I'm thinking it's a Higgins RAT a medley of J.C Higgins parts that are now this bike.
IMG_9197.jpg

IMG_9198.jpg

IMG_9199.jpg

IMG_9200.jpg

IMG_9201.jpg

IMG_9202.jpg

IMG_9203.jpg

IMG_9204.jpg

IMG_9208.jpg

Serial number.
IMG_9209.jpg

Has the skirt guards from a girls Color-Flow.
IMG_9210.jpg
Whats left of the Decal.
IMG_9212.jpg

IMG_9214.jpg

IMG_9215.jpg

IMG_9216.jpg

Both the front and rear fenders are peck/gothic style and have the tomb stone reflectors.
IMG_9217.jpg
IMG_9218.jpg
IMG_9219.jpg
IMG_9221.jpg
Rack is off a girls Higgins I think, not sure of the model.
IMG_9222.jpg

J.C Higgins ribbed hub, with drop center rims.
IMG_9232.jpg

IMG_9228.jpg
IMG_9229.jpg

Front hub has no markings of any kind.
IMG_9226.jpg

I think it's a mix of these 3 bikes.
1949_jchiggins_1.jpg

Same frame as this 49 Color-Flow, same double tomb stone reflectors.
P1011799-1.jpg

Found this in the forum think it's a 46 Higgins, has the same peaked fenders as mine and the same fender braces. But lacks the reflectors.

And this has to where the other parts had to have came from, skirt guards, crank arms, pedals, gen 2 Bee Hive fork.
jchg3-1_full.jpg

This is just my theory, since I can't find a Higgins that looks like mine.

Cool Rat find Scribble, I've got a nice badge 'round here somewhere. PM me if ya need one.
Your theory on pedigree seems about right. I have a rack just like yours that I snagged from a mid '50s girly Higgins.
You have a lot of nice old parts to play with right there.

Always loved the bee hive springers. :)

That Cabe thread is the bane of my existence! The pre-'65 dates were 'guesstimates' by the Murray Eliminator site guys. A few years later, someone discovered a 1959 Western Auto parts catalog, with a serial list. The WA bikes were stamped "MO", and then the year letter date. Sears bikes were stamped "MOS". So, "MOS-P" is actually 1950. -Adam

That Cabe thread is the bane of my existence! The pre-'65 dates were 'guesstimates' by the Murray Eliminator site guys. A few years later, someone discovered a 1959 Western Auto parts catalog, with a serial list. The WA bikes were stamped "MO", and then the year letter date. Sears bikes were stamped "MOS". So, "MOS-P" is actually 1950. -Adam[/QUOTE

Thanks, I did more research on the bike after I posted that link and it is indeed a 1950 model. And I totally get you, that cabe post is some what miss leading.

Latest posts

Back