*I've Got My Spine, I've Got My Orange Crush* (Done!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Whitewalls-June 11)

kingfish254 said:
Those wheels are gonna look tasty and refreshing on your bike!!!!!

Hey, one week after I bought one of those cobbler vises on ebay for $25 shipped, I found one Saturday at a yard sale for $3. I should have waited. I have already used mine a few times. They are pretty cool, plus they have that what the heck look to them.

Thanks kingfish..."tasty and refreshing". :)

Isn't that the way it always is...you buy something only to find it on sale the next week...the reverse is also true: as soon as I throw something out or give something away that I think I will never need, I end up looking for it a week later. But at least you have two anvils now...they do work very slick. Most people think that it's a boat anchor. :)

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Whitewalls-June 11)

I had nearly slipped into oblivion (page 3) and have had too much rain to get any tank work done. So I tackled something that I could do rain or shine.

I had originally thought that my headlight would be more of an accessory than an actual functioning light. Thanks to inspiration and "how-to" from this site, I decided to convert my headlight to an LED.

I started with a cheap LED flashlight (uses 3 AAA batteries)

IMG_1315.jpg

Hacked it up with a hacksaw to get the bulb out

IMG_1316.jpg

Soldered them up (positive to center-negative to the outside)

IMG_1317.jpg

Picked up a toggle switch small enough to fit through the existing wiring hole...

IMG_1319.jpg

Let there be light!

IMG_1320.jpg

Then I mounted the LED into the old reflector with some Krazy Glue.

IMG_1324.jpg

Put it all together and we have a working headlight with a switch.

IMG_1325.jpg

IMG_1328.jpg

IMG_1327.jpg

And the most important detail of all...I stayed off page 3!

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Working Headlight-June 20)

Great job on the light. I need to work on mine soon. Thanks for showing the deatils of what you did. You should post it in the headlight galley thread.

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Working Headlight-June 20)

Sun finally shining here in Winnipeg, so I've got a few things finished up. I will be heading out of town for work for 10 days and would love to get it put together before I leave on Sunday.

Here is the fender work I got finished up...

Started by trimming down the originals with tin snips.

IMG_1362.jpg

Then I used my cobbler's anvil to make the edges look like old bottle caps.

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1358.jpg

IMG_1360.jpg

Then a coat of white.

IMG_1363.jpg

Some rally stripe masking

IMG_1365.jpg

Top coat of orange

IMG_1369.jpg

Some little touch ups needed, but this gives you an idea of what they will look like

IMG_1372.jpg

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Fender Bender-June 22)

SOOO COOL!!!!
That cobbler's anvil is perfect!
I have already used mine a couple of times.

Thanks guys. I love the cobbler's anvil...I can pick it up and use it anywhere...in the house, on the workbench, or in my lawnchair in the back yard. :)
I also love the various surfaces you can use to get different shapes. It worked so slick getting the bottle cap look. Just used the claw of my hammer to create a bit more of a crease and valley. So worth the $20 investment...even better when you can get it for $3 like kingfish.

p00r0ldlu said:
Thanks guys. I love the cobbler's anvil...I can pick it up and use it anywhere...in the house, on the workbench, or in my lawnchair in the back yard. :)
I also love the various surfaces you can use to get different shapes. It worked so slick getting the bottle cap look. Just used the claw of my hammer to create a bit more of a crease and valley. So worth the $20 investment...even better when you can get it for $3 like kingfish.

I will probably keep my $25 one because it is cast iron. I can probably sell the smaller welded one on ebay and recoup my total $28 investment. :mrgreen:

Sweet fenders! :wink: The bottle cap edge idea is pure genius! :p

So I couldn't resist putting it together. (I'll do a bunch of touch up painting now that she's rollin') So I got the chain on and took it for a cruise around the block. Still lots of loose ends to tie up, but the big stuff is done. I have some graphics to add, seat to attach, chainguard to finish as well as the big tank reveal. But for now here are the standard garage door pictures.

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1379.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1381-3.jpg

Re: *I've Got My Orange Crush* (Tour Around The Block-June 22)

WOW!!!
Really came together well!!!
Looking forward to the tank reveal!

This bike is making me thirsty.

man I love the painted wheels and bottle holder! Maybe there's going to be that "spine" on the tank somehow???? 8)

With all the wooden tanks this year, I think there is a homicidal lumberjack bunny on the loose!

lumberjack324.jpg

I sure am thirsty to see some more
Who knows maybe even a door?

Absolutely digging it, especially the fender treatment! Now I need to find myself a cobbler's anvil too.
and that taillight get +100 points just for being the coolest taillight I have seen in this years build off.

motopsyco said:
Absolutely digging it, especially the fender treatment! Now I need to find myself a cobbler's anvil too.
and that taillight get +100 points just for being the coolest taillight I have seen in this years build off.

Those cobbler anvils are awesome. I bought one immediately after I saw Lou's . I have already used it multiple times on my build. It is so versatile and portable.

Ok...so I'm back. Between being away at work for a week, then putting a new roof on the cabin, July has been slipping away. Got a chance to get some decal work done on Crush...and it is time for the big tank reveal.

IMG_1464.jpg

Exact change only please.

IMG_1463.jpg

IMG_1465.jpg

IMG_1466.jpg

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

She is a rolling drink machine! I have a few more little finishing touches (cool valve stem caps-chainguard-vintage bottle caps) I hope to get some done this week and start scouting a good place for the final photo shoot. Good luck as we head into the home stretch. BUILD ON!

Latest posts

Back