*I've Got My Spine, I've Got My Orange Crush* (Done!)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: I've Got My Spine, I've Got My Orange Crush (May 17-Paint)

So it feels like I am making a little progress...finally got some paint (Flat Leather Brown) on the frame and fork. Cleaned up the seat and chainring...got them started with paint.

IMG_1033.jpg

Then I got distracted by these two lights that were laying in the corner of the garage...

IMG_1039.jpg

Add a couple of other pieces...

IMG_1042.jpg

Hope to have it mocked up tomorrow so you can see what I have planned.

Re: I've Got My Spine, I've Got My Orange Crush (May 17-Paint)

So I couldn't wait until morning...

I have been searching high and low for a springer...and when I do find one, the cost keeps it out of reach. So I decided to make my own mock springer.

This is what I was able to do with just a pair of tin snips, a cordless drill and an angle grinder.

IMG_1045.jpg

IMG_1046.jpg

IMG_1047.jpg

IMG_1048.jpg

IMG_1049.jpg

Re: I've Got My Orange Crush (Mock Springer-May 18)

Aw Snaps!! That's freaking great! This will be stolen. GTB!! Peace

I missed your light post earlier. That looks awesome! Can't wait to see it mounted.

Love the truss rods and faux springer. Turned out very nicely.

I like that front end treatment!

2 questions:

1) Is your fork slightly bent?

2) How will you mount your wheel, you're using their holes!

yoothgeye said:
I like that front end treatment!

2 questions:

1) Is your fork slightly bent?

2) How will you mount your wheel, you're using their holes!

Yes the forks are slightly bent...keeping my eyes open for some better ones, but these are still rideable.

The truss mounts will actually attach to the axle...just used some stove bolts to mock it up for now...

Your sidecar is starting to look sick man...I wish I had a welder (and the abillity to weld!)

raggedjim said:
I really like the faux springer! I'm not the only one who see's bicycle parts and pieces everywhere I go.

What will you do for tires for the tricycle? It looks great.

Great job, Rg

Thanks so much...

For the trike I actually filled the holes with black acrylic silicone. It is not as hard as the original tire, but has firmed up very nice. I will post a picture or two when I have all the finishing touches done. Her birthay party is next week! I better get at it.

p00r0ldlu said:
Your sidecar is starting to look sick man...I wish I had a welder (and the abillity to weld!)

All I really have is the welder, the ability to weld really isn't there, I just try. Thanks.

Thanks for the kind words on the trike...
Unfortunately my plan with the silicone failed. It set up very nicely, but did not adhere to the rest of the old tire. So out came the bondo.

Before...

IMG_0855.jpg

After...

IMG_1080.jpg

And then a little flat black paint...

IMG_1083.jpg

The birthday party is on Saturday, so I have a couple minor touch-ups to do before we give it to her...and then Saturday night it's back to building my Orange Crush!

IMG_1085.jpg

Re: I've Got My Orange Crush (Trike Nearly Done-May 24)

I love your trike!! I'm sure it will be a big hit!! I have a couple trikes myself, nothing fancy. One is my very first "ride", I think my parents bought it before I was born. So it's about 41 years old now! :mrgreen:

Re: I've Got My Orange Crush (Trike Nearly Done-May 24)

So it has been raining all week up here...but I managed to sneak a little paint on today...

IMG_1088.jpg

IMG_1086.jpg

Also managed to get my handlebars mounted (had to hack down a BMX stem) Pretty sure these are off a 70's dirtbike. Nice and wide. I think I like the lines...though you could weigh in with your ideas. I have some orange grips to go on them.

IMG_1091.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1092.jpg

Also can't decide which tires to use once the rims are ready...the creams look sweet, but not sure if the white wall would look better with the white/orange color scheme.

IMG_1090.jpg

Hope the sun comes out lots this weekend...

Re: I've Got My Orange Crush (Paint and Handlebars-May 25)

Silicone caulk is my go to product as well. You might go to a site called "Instructables" and search for something called "Sugru", or the DIY version "OOgoo". It is a recipe for mixing silicone caulk and corn starch together and making a paste, and then smearing it or molding it onto whatever you want to fix, make, etc. It sets up in a few hours and holds pretty good to just about anything. Give it a try, but in the mean time, those wheels look great! Also, I plan to steal your springer/non-springer idea in some way shape or form. Great job of recycling/upcycling on those lamps!

Re: I've Got My Orange Crush (Paint and Handlebars-May 25)

Thanks for the tip with the silicone...I will have to use that in the future. And basically every piece of junk in my shed could end up on a bike sometime. :)

Latest posts

Back