Its a Bicycle with a motor.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really, it is. I swear.

Anyways, Sup guys! Kind of new here. Im just a kid that likes building bikes. I cant say im the best at this, but it sure is fun learning. I'm also not much of a typer. So this is gonna be short and sweet.

Basically what I'm starting with is this 1950's Columbia frame. built for 26 inch wheels. I got this Ryobi 31cc tiller for free and it ran. I decided to rip into it and start mounting it on this bike. IT wont be much power im sure, but its a good entry level engine to start messing with. I will probably go to a 5 horse briggs later on once I learn to weld.

So my goal with this bike is speed. Its not gonna be any acceleration machine, just speed in the far end of the track, ya know?

I just started it yesterday so its not hooked to the wheel yet. Im gonna have to do some wheel mods to get it to spin correctly. As the engine spins reverse.

Comparing this bike to the others on the forum makes me feel more and more dumb. :oops: But I promise you it will get there!

DSCN3121.jpg

DSCN3122.jpg

Did I mention its a rat? Well, it is.

Welcome man!!!! Dont be discouraged, your bike looks great. You obviously still have a lot to do. But i really like what you have done so far. It has a nice stance and there isnt anything i dont like. Very cool looking, keep us posted on your pogress and dont forget lots of pics. :D :D :D

I cant offer much advice on your engine because ive never tried one of those but its a very nice looking motor and way better then the chinese kits....

Thanks for the warm welcome dude! Ive been looking through your threads, super cool bikes!

I had decided I wasnt going to do a kit from the beginning. I dont really ever plan on using one. I'll use what I have lying around. And this just happens to be it.

For my own sake, im gonna make a list of things I need to do to get it rolling. Let me know if I missed anything.

-2 lower motor mounts.
-new clutch bell housing with sprocket.
-fixie rear wheel.
-brakes, duh!
- an actual gas tank, this one leaks so bad.

And I believe thats it for basics of getting it to move under its own power...

Cool 8) I'm also planning on doing a build with a 5hp Briggs, albeit slightly modified. I can't wait to see what you come up with for this build :D

I will watch for yours! Ive got some ideas in my mind for a briggs, but wont to see somebody elses mistakes first before I make my own. :p

This saturday lots of work will be done. My dad, a machinist, and I will be bringing the bike to his shop to do some fab work. Hopefully then I can make the other motor mounts and a proper exhaust. as well as the new clutch housing.

Picturing taking will be in the plans!

Your dad is a machinist????....... My advice: be extremely nice to your dad from now on, and you will have an extremely nice bike. LOL. :wink:

Lilgti said:
I will watch for yours! Ive got some ideas in my mind for a briggs, but wont to see somebody elses mistakes first before I make my own. :p

This saturday lots of work will be done. My dad, a machinist, and I will be bringing the bike to his shop to do some fab work. Hopefully then I can make the other motor mounts and a proper exhaust. as well as the new clutch housing.

Ha. Well unfortunately mine is on hold for the moment, so you may have to be the guinea pig :lol: This is a video of what I am going for, at least sound and power wise>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M2FmvY3bCkBut
I will also be modiying the exterior to look more like a vintage engine. You can't beat the sound of a flathead Briggs, but the looks leave something to be desired..

Thanks for all the kind words guys! I like this forum already.

OK, so question for you bike gurus. With this bike, im looking for speed, not crazy about acceleration. Just speed. Knowing that, and the size of my engine (31cc) What do you think would be some good gear ratios for me to run to get my bike up to say, 30 mph?

EDIT. I have decided on my best gear ratio for this bike after some research, but what Id really like to know is the max RPM of this engine? I cant find that information ANYWHERE. That will be the deciding factor in my final gearing ratio.

If you were asking about the powerband it would be easy enough. If it's a 4-stroke the max output will probably be around 3500-4000rpm. If it's a 2-stroke probably twice that number. But since you are asking about the actual max rpm the engine is capable of I can't help you there. Maybe contact Ryobi direct, or ask a local small engine shop?

AKB said:
Lilgti said:

Ha. Well unfortunately mine is on hold for the moment, so you may have to be the guinea pig :lol: This is a video of what I am going for, at least sound and power wise>
I will also be modiying the exterior to look more like a vintage engine. You can't beat the sound of a flathead Briggs, but the looks leave something to be desired..

The old Briggs can be made to look quite nice. To make more vintage looking you can also remove the shroud, machine off the flywheel veins (supposedly there is enough when moving to keep these things cool), cut off heatshield from barrell and also round the head a little..... Heres a 3hp Briggs i cleaned up a little.....

P3110062.jpg

Speaking of that, I have a mower shop not a mile from my house. I'll have to ride over there and ask them a few questions.

You seriously think I could get probably 5krpms out of this little thing? That would put me well past my goal. :D

harry76 said:
AKB said:
Lilgti said:

The old Briggs can be made to look quite nice. To make more vintage looking you can also remove the shroud, machine off the flywheel veins (supposedly there is enough when moving to keep these things cool), cut off heatshield from barrell and also round the head a little..... Heres a 3hp Briggs i cleaned up a little.....

P3110062.jpg

Yeah what I am planning on doing is fairly extensive. Machining down the fins, and adding more of them to the cylinder head as well as adding some additional parts to the engine. Then what I want to do is completely remove the shrouds and pull start assembly. After that I want to have the flywheel machined so that all of the fins are gone. Then I want to mount an old rope start drum on the other side of the engine, butted up against the centrifugal clutch that I will be using. I think that will balance out the look of the engine. One thing I don't like on many Briggs builds is how lopsided the engine looks in relation to the frame. But that is just how it is if you want the chain to line up without a jackshaft. I think it will turn out pretty nice though. I also thought of using one of the old Wisconsin engines with the magneto on the side, because they look pretty vintage as is. But I'll have to see what I want when it comes time to build.
Anyways, here is a picture of the BTR that I am trying to replicate. I really want the Briggs to look as close to this as possible>
http://www.onlyclassics.com/p1642.jpg
And don't mind the copyright on this pic. I actually own a large copy of this picture. But it's a physical copy and not in my computer, so I used a pic from the guys eBay listings.

I will also be modiying the exterior to look more like a vintage engine. You can't beat the sound of a flathead Briggs, but the looks leave something to be desired..[/quote]

P3110062.jpg
[/quote]

Yeah what I am planning on doing is fairly extensive. Machining down the fins, and adding more of them to the cylinder head as well as adding some additional parts to the engine. Then what I want to do is completely remove the shrouds and pull start assembly. After that I want to have the flywheel machined so that all of the fins are gone. Then I want to mount an old rope start drum on the other side of the engine, butted up against the centrifugal clutch that I will be using. I think that will balance out the look of the engine. One thing I don't like on many Briggs builds is how lopsided the engine looks in relation to the frame. But that is just how it is if you want the chain to line up without a jackshaft. I think it will turn out pretty nice though. I also thought of using one of the old Wisconsin engines with the magneto on the side, because they look pretty vintage as is. But I'll have to see what I want when it comes time to build.
Anyways, here is a picture of the BTR that I am trying to replicate. I really want the Briggs to look as close to this as possible>
http://www.onlyclassics.com/p1642.jpg
And don't mind the copyright on this pic. I actually own a large copy of this picture. But it's a physical copy and not in my computer, so I used a pic from the guys eBay listings.[/quote]

Thats a nice bike man. Very nice, ill be keeping an eye out for your build.

Lilgti, im no expert but my only advice is dont get greedy with mph or you may end up with an unridable bike.
Someone gave me great advice when they said "Torque is more important then speed. Not enough speed and ou go slower. Not enough torque and you dont go at all".

Take your time and ask lots of questions. Im sure you will be fine. Cant wait to see what you come up with

Ha. Your eyes might get tired harry76 :roll: My build is going nowhere until my financial situation improves. It's a shame too, because I have almost everything figured out.. Modified frame from jonsbigbikes.com painted satin black, custom built 700c wheels using either 38 or 47mm wide Kris Holm rims (made for mountain unicycling so they're very tough,) Schwalbe 700c x 2" creme tires, internal throttle assembly, and of course the modified Briggs. I even have a cool old knurled bronze valve to use as the fuel shutoff. The only thing I don't have right now is the money to make it happen :( I really wish that I hadn't sunk $5k into my Fairlane right before I lost my job, but that's life. I am confident that I will get it built though. Just a matter of time.. For now I will have to live vicariously through Lilgti since he at least has his build started :)

that frame will be perfect and would look sweet with a tank in it. and i think it would be cool to run the ryobi engine so you could pedal with the engine and be one with the bike. i will be watching this one for sure!

AKB said:
Ha. Your eyes might get tired harry76 :roll: My build is going nowhere until my financial situation improves. It's a shame too, because I have almost everything figured out.. Modified frame from jonsbigbikes.com painted satin black, custom built 700c wheels using either 38 or 47mm wide Kris Holm rims (made for mountain unicycling so they're very tough,) Schwalbe 700c x 2" creme tires, internal throttle assembly, and of course the modified Briggs. I even have a cool old knurled bronze valve to use as the fuel shutoff. The only thing I don't have right now is the money to make it happen :( I really wish that I hadn't sunk $5k into my Fairlane right before I lost my job, but that's life. I am confident that I will get it built though. Just a matter of time.. For now I will have to live vicariously through Lilgti since he at least has his build started :)

Im not going anywhere, ill wait.... lol. Hope you get back on your feet financially soon and can join the fun.... have you considered maybe a cheap ratrod build in the meantime? Parts and bikes over in the U.S are cheap anyway, but having said that im sure it still adds up.

Im building a bike also with 700cc rims and white tyres. But only a little 50cc powerplant......... Kris Holm rims? I think he used to ride in a mountainbike dvd i had (New World Disorder), crazy stuff seeing him riding "north shore trails" !!!!!!!

Thanks. And I do have a junky old mountain bike and some spare parts that I could potentially mess around with, but I'd rather just focus all on my efforts on the BTR. I'm one of those people that starts a bunch of projects at the same time, and then none of them are ever fully completed. I don't want that to happen with this one 8) And yeah. Kris Holm and all of those other mountain unicyclists are pretty crazy. I think I lost the ability to have children just WATCHING them do that! :shock:

Sup guys! Its been a bit since my last post, so i figure id give an update. This past saturday me and my father went to his work and began to do some fabrication work. I didnt get pictures of everything, but heres a few of the things I did get.

A picture of the crankcase. for whatever reason. Lol
DSCN3190.jpg

And we trimmed off all the edges on this plastic cover, leaving only the mounts for the carb and throttle cable. And when taking this off, we found that the seal was almost completely gone, so we'll be making one of those soon. Id like to modify this to be able to run a different carb with an actual air filter. The current one has just a hole and no means to mount a filter on. Im sure we can figure something out.

DSCN3191.jpg

Also, heres the messy work station:
DSCN3188.jpg

Latest posts

Back