RRBBO13 ISM 0001

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The drop offs on a lot of the old vintage bikes can be a problem especially if you have fenders as well. I did 26x2.125 on my Huffy Galaxie and they barely squeezed in. I would not add extenders or chip down the drop outs for a bike like yours. Looks way too cool as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, the OG paint is too nice and extensions aren’t very ‘strandie’.

Like you said, find some cool 2.125s or 1.95s, there’s tons of options out there in those sizes.

Maybe run a wider tire up front...old school BMX/MTB style....[emoji41]
These tires can wait for THE bike for them.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not abandoned...but I had an idea, and needed the right combo of circumstances to present themselves at work. It kinda happened tonight, with a little coaxing :bigsmile:.

Anyway...I grabbed a pretty good size chunk of aluminum...

IMG_20180523_012449489_HDR.jpg

...and my most trusty precision tools...

IMG_20180523_012524899.jpg

...and I whittled and pounded out this...

IMG_20180523_012635297.jpg

...and I swear it's part of this build. But, I'll need a couple more components and a lot of luck to make it work.

Stay tuned...success or destruction is around the corner,
Jason

That is some fancy whittlin son!

cnsmovtv_beverlyhillbillies_bankbattle_02.jpg

I love both frames. mac'n'cheese from this forum has a fire arrow frame and forks for sale at the moment. I was looking at images of fire bolts and fire arrows a couple of days ago and saw one where the owner had fitted a fire arrow half tank into a fire bolt frame. Looked really cool :)

I love both frames. mac'n'cheese from this forum has a fire arrow frame and forks for sale at the moment. I was looking at images of fire bolts and fire arrows a couple of days ago and saw one where the owner had fitted a fire arrow half tank into a fire bolt frame. Looked really cool :)
You gave me a minor heart attack :whew:...I guess I should have said mid-60s fire arrow, these guys...

805281966columbiafirearrow.jpg

...one of my favorite middleweight models. The front rack is hiding the potentially lethal arrow points, but they can be seen in this ad...

13057895604_0af3c2470e_k.jpg

Jason

stalin.jpg

So... I've planned to participate in every single RRB build off in the last 3+ years. I haven't once even managed to start a build journal... UNTIL NOW. My string of 'failures to launch' is OVER!

My goal is to slap together a simple build before next weekend (for a local bike show), and then hopefully add some upgrades/doo-dadery over the next couple months.
I'm out!

I keep trying to convince myself that there was some level of victory here...as I started my first build thread after failing to in EVERY SINGLE BUILD OFF IN THE LAST FEW YEARS. But, its an epic fail...literally, never made it past mock up. I set a softball on a tee, and still struck out :grin:.

Two reasons...
1) I am ridiculously linear...it was a minor miracle that I overcame not being able to find a set of the whitewall w/ red stripe Vans from my initial plan (still struggling with that, actually). After finding out that the Vans were too big for the rear triangle...all I had to do is pick a smaller tire. Couldn't find any that fit my plan, and wouldn't alter my plan for any tire. So, I designed up a tool to (hopefully) reshape my stays without (hopefully) damaging the paint. Which leads to...

2) Work has went bonkers busy...I as blessed with the opportunity to use my work's shop equipment for personal projects. However, I need a specific set of circumstances to make it happen. I need to end a job at the end of shift...I need to be using the same material...I need time. With the work load having increased...I've only been able to get those three requirements to sync a couple of times. I've made one part of my multi-part tool that may or may not work...and due to #1, above, I can't bring myself to move on to another step without first correcting the tire fitment issue.

So, this last week I thought maybe I would switch to another build. I have all the components to put together a crusty '62 Typhoon. I figured I had two weekends, I could do some minor de-crusting and put together a pretty ratty original paint cruiser. Well, this weekend went all kinds of haywire...so, it ain't happenin' :grin:. Also, I have to get four bikes prepped for a Mountain bike ride through the Forest Service by August 30. A bike for me, my younger daughter, and two son-in-laws. Only one of the bikes is complete, and it needs everything gone through as its been sitting for years. The other three will be built up from frames...by the Aug 30th!

That's the deal...I guess I'll give it another go on the next build off.

Good luck to everyone else!
Jason

Sorry to hear .
There is always next year

Latest posts

Back