RRBBO13 ISM 0001

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustyGold

Epic Level Bike Hoarder! 🏆
Pro Member
Reaction score
So... I've planned to participate in every single RRB build off in the last 3+ years. I haven't once even managed to start a build journal... UNTIL NOW. My string of 'failures to launch' is OVER!

My goal is to slap together a simple build before next weekend (for a local bike show), and then hopefully add some upgrades/doo-dadery over the next couple months.

Here it is!
IMG_20180506_200425823.jpg

Columbia Firebolt with some 80s themed parts. Not being able to score a set of the Vans red striped whitewalls kind of screwed up my color palette plans...adapt and overcome. Still looking for a black/chrome B72…would probably settle for a B66 (or other sprung version).

Need to choose which forks...some no names, a pair of GBPs, or some landing gear...
IMG_20180506_200603272.jpg

Jason

Looks like a great plan to me!
Love those frames!

oGyk8_s-200x150.gif

Frame is from @Jsparks , wheels are @ind-chuckz specials...the bars are big honkin' bars off my floval, but I suspect they will be lower than I like, so I'll probably replace them with the super big honkin' bars off my STR-29...either way, there will be some big honkin' bars :grin:.

The frame isn't perfect, there are a couple wear through spots...but, it presents very nicely. I hope I can do it justice.

Jason

Well, the plan didn't survive very far into assembly :doh:.

IMG_20180509_114458316.jpg

Great start, you say...what could possibly be the problem, you say...

IMG_20180509_115341127.jpg

...well, when I measured for clearance a couple months back, I must have been wearing my rose colored goggles (or blinders)...I told myself, 'it will be tight, but it will work' :shake:. First thought...tire must be way oversized! Nope, 2.3" on the nose (which is part of the issue, I assumed it would measure 2.25" at best).

Good news, I may be able to go back to my original color scheme. Bad news, I'll need to order different tires, pads, grips, yadda, yadda, and so on. Good news, I'm not pressed to have phase 1 completed for the show debut on Saturday. Bad news, I need to pull another show quality (my standards are fairly low for that phrase :grin:) rider from the bowels of the garage...and tune and spruce it up before Saturday :crazy:.

Jason

I have gently used a dremel grinding wheel to take off just enough material in the right places to make a tire fit nice and close. Air pressure and spot on wheel truing will keep you in the 'pocket'. Dig the look, hope you can save it.

What about making some dropout extenders to shift the wheel back?

What about making some dropout extenders to shift the wheel back?
Hey that would be cool. I always loved this frame (and its chain guard), but thought it would look amazing if the center tube/rack was parallel to the ground. You have the bottom bracket height to drop the rear end a little as you extend it. Those tyres are rad please use them :)

I have gently used a dremel grinding wheel to take off just enough material in the right places to make a tire fit nice and close. Air pressure and spot on wheel truing will keep you in the 'pocket'. Dig the look, hope you can save it.
I have very few old bikes that have 'nice' paint...I don't want to screw it up, I'm just going to have to pick a 2.125" tire I like.

Thanks for the tip,
Jason

Hey that would be cool. I always loved this frame (and its chain guard), but thought it would look amazing if the center tube/rack was parallel to the ground. You have the bottom bracket height to drop the rear end a little as you extend it. Those tyres are rad please use them :)
I was considering raising the front up to get the rack parallel :bigsmile:...that was why I was mocking it up, to get a measurement on the crown race I was going to make.

The tires will be used...just not on this, unfortunately,
Jason

Latest posts

Back