is there such thing as a cool recumbant????

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so i have seen a couple cool looking recumbent bikes like Robert Q Riley ground hugger...

groundhugger1.gif

groundhugger2.gif

how cool looking is that ride.....

i am in the midst of building a short wheelbase recumbent rat rod but i am not ready to post some pics haven't gotten to far yet .... but knowing the talent around here some of you might have made some kind of recumbent and i figured I'd see if ne one would post there rides cause i am not sure if i have ever see one on this forum.....

Posted a "few" times. Changed around a "few" times. My first attempt at building. I guess that's why I still have it...............Two women's frames, cut and stretched.
012-3-1.jpg

I've got 2 builds going on for the "Bent" bikes going. Like Greylock, looks like he built the Tour master from Atomic zombie, and I have the Voyager going also.
S5002968.jpg

S5002971.jpg

The coolest bent bikes are the ones you build....

you guys have the atomic zombie bike book tooo? i just got it for christmas! :lol:

hey stretch got my atomic zombie book for my b-day last year i am using the kool kat build to make a short wheel base recumbent...

the crazy molded body around is wild it looks like there's an i-pod on the side wall......

That cool Bent bike went from this to this, but lot the chick in the Bikini. Bummer....
bike-1.jpg

AZ_Super_Bike-xr25ss.jpg

AZ_Super_Bike-xr2-1.jpg

Then the first is way cool. Found it on some bike blog thing where you can send in pic's of your work. I definitely want to copy it.
Super_Chopper-1.jpg

Then there is this thing. Had a chuckle over this one.
AZ_Long_Bent.jpg

F'lowroller by Robert Horn...........Bought his plans a few years ago. Will build similar, one day. :roll:

Super_Chopper-1.jpg

Big Moe (one of our Freaks) has several 'bents inspired by Robert Horn's designs. Very cool rides, but Moe is ..... well ... Big! So I can't reach the pedals to really enjoy his bikes.

As far as cool bents go, Moe's built some pretty wild stuff (bikes and trikes) over the years including his Dragon Bike. This is pretty much a wooden framed bike. More for parade riding. It looks kinda like the hull of a viking ship. Moe is a woodworker, so it's only natural for him to make a woodie or two. He's also in the process of building a wood recumbent for Autorama. I haven't seen it yet but he's told me it's crazy cool. Most all his bikes sport 7 speed Nexus rears and discs.

To answer the title of this thread ....... If it has wheels, it can be made cool! :mrgreen: Just how cool depends on the visions of the builders and or owners!

I can't find my pics of Moe's Dragon Bike right now, but I'll stick Gigs on it tomorrow!

We have several FBN members who've at least dabbled in the 'bent movement. I've got one that Moe lost interest in and I started to revamped (meaning, move things within my reach zone). I really need to buckle down and finish up all the stuff I've started. Most of them only need a few hours work to finish!

YES! Around here they are frequently referred to as a "burrito"

check here for more:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21609&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=burritos

I still can't figure out why a "cool looking" recumbent has not been brought to market in any significant way, or rather why the vast majority of the current offerings out there are so foul to behold. My guess would be because to make the design look cool, you need a serious rake on your head angle, and maybe that is not marketable to the general public?

There's a good reason why there aren't a lot of cool looking recumbents. Nobody cares. Bent's are meant for performance, adding weight to dress them up is a marketing disaster. Bents are 1% of all bike sales, would you what to get into a business building "cool" bents with a market percentage like that? The Bigha bike is a good example of a dressed up bent, we called it the "Bighaha", and it certainly was a joke. If you want a cool bent, you have to build it yourself.

Dscn0097.jpg

I look at it as being in the layout, more than adding stuff. What Von Stans and Sinner4 posted had a pretty high cool factor, but for the most part I'd have to agree that the way to a "cool" bent is the one-off build.

that's a nice looking short wheel based bent i like the chain guard...... i am having trouble figuring out mine i really wanted to do something cool for the stearing but i can't figure out the best set up .....

A cool Bent would be the Marauder Reloaded from Atomic Zombie. I have the plans and the metal to build it. Some day, I have 5 builds going on right now
large2.jpg

Sinner4 said:
Is this the Wood Dragon bent Bike??
url

Found it on terratrike.com andhttp://mhpva.blogspot.com/
And these, nice wood work.
DragonWood+02-09+Done+005.jpg

DragonWood+02-09+Done+006.jpg

Thanks Sinner! Yep that's the one I was talking about. It's definitely not setup to set any speed records,but it is cool looking. I dragged that beast down to our both in Ann Arbor this last spring. It rained on the beast for about two days prior to heading out . Moe put alot of effort into the bike and luckily the rain didn't damage it at all. Everyone who say it was in awe of it. The kids especially loved it.

The recumbent that Big Moe gave me is very similar to the A.Z. Marauder Reload. But when I'm done with itthings will look a little different.

In our area, I'm seeing more and more bents running down our roads. A lot more bike shops are selling the Easy Racers. Big Moe has one of these, one of the trike versions. It's pretty cool and is fun to ride (once I scooch up in the seat!).

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back