Is there a way to put new standard size hubs into a Wingbar frame?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 1937 Silverking Wingbar frame in which I would like to install a new wheelset with Shimano Nexus 3 speed hub. I know I could file out the dropouts to fit the bigger axle, but how could I overcome the wider hub width front and rear? The aluminum frame will crack if I try to spread it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you want to put a 135mm wide hub into a 110mm wide frame? IIRC the nexus has some fairly wide inner axle nuts which could be removed and replaced with thin ones, but that's not going to make up for that much of a size gap. I think sturmey makes a hub or two in 110mm including a two speed kickback. I personally wouldn't modify a wingbar frame, but that's me.

If it's any more than a couple millimeters wider I wouldn't do it—that old aluminum in particular is fussy stuff. I think SA makes some narrower geared hubs that might be 112 or 113 mm or so and you should be able to remove a mm or 2 from the hub without trouble.

Pretty much, most of the Sturmey hubs without coasters can be had in 110 spacing. The narrowest coaster-brake Sturmey-Archers are spaced at 116. I wouldn't dream of running anything wider than the stock spacing in a piece of 80 year-old aluminum. I'd run wheels with the stock spacing, and if you're trying to fit 3/8" axles into a 5/16" slot, you might consider filing the axle flat on two sides, rather than modifying the frame. That frame is a rare duck, for one, and the usual worries one might have with 80 year-old aluminum apply here, too.

About 10 yrs ago I was trying to pull apart my Monarch SilverKing aluminum frames' rear drops to allow a wider-spaced hub, and cleanly snapped one of the seatstays!! I was devastated but learned my lesson. :shake: Be very careful here. Find something that fits.

I just built a set of wheels using a Shimano C-EB 110 coaster (single speed) and for the front I used an old, but in great shape, 93 mm hub with, I think 5/16 axles. Both fit the dropouts and front spacing without modification. The rear had been previously spread to accept a 5 speed so I had to squeeze it back to fit but I am pretty sure the Shimano coaster spacing is 110. The rear axle fit my dropouts but, like they said, file the axle flat before filing the aluminum. There is no going back once the dropouts are filed but getting a new axle is easy. Anyway, the important part is to avoid spreading or filing if you can on steel. On Aluminum you have to find stuff to fit. What I did is build wheels with old Araya rims I had laying around. Instead of using a 3 speed you might consider what I sometimes do. I like to use a 22 tooth cog on the Shimano coaster and a 36 tooth chain wheel. This allows hill climbing on a heavy cruiser. Depending on you hills, you could also use a 39, 40 or 44 tooth chain wheel with a 22 or 23 tooth cog. On Rails to Trails bike paths I can't keep up with cruisers that have the 18 x 44 to 50 tooth gearing on the gentle down hill grades. I think this might be a better alternative for you to consider with your bike.
Here is one with 23 x 44 using a KTT coaster
IMG_1048.JPG

Here is the one I am working on that I built the wheels for with 22 x 36 gearing. You will probably have to build a front wheel to fit the spacing and spread. If anyone knows where to get a front wheel with the old spacing us know, could save a lot of time for someone.
IMG_1135 1.JPG

After reading the replies now I'm nervous. I've been riding around with this nexus 3speed on my Wingbar. It's off an Electra bike. But when I put them on they kinda fit right in. The only thing done was filing the axle flat on the front one the back fit right in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back