Interrobang

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love all of your innovations!! The bars mounted by the crossbar.....that idea is getting copied, I'm sure! The shifter idea is too cool and everything is going pretty true to your original drawing...nice work!

Sensor made the handlebars, if anyone wants a copy (and they're really well made and VERY reasonable). They're pretty much a copy of ~1937-38 Monark Superframe's bars. That bike even had a stem with a 2-piece handlebar clamp, like a modern threadless stem to allow for the crossbar to go without the usual crimp and they used the same size diameter for all of it so that the bar could be mounted as I have done.

Love the idea of Gulf racing colors! Look forward to seeing this one finished.

Cool build.

furyus

Sort of Gulf. More Gulf inspired and I'll probably stick with it, but I found Aston Martin Almond Green and I think that would be some classy stuff with black and brass trim.

Anyway, I got the saddle put back together. It's worrying me how easy this seems to be going. Either I've built up my skillset such that I know what I'm doing (doubtful), in which case I'm not challenging myself enough or some atom bomb nightmare is going to descend upon me.

I'll probably paint the saddle frame to match the final color scheme. You can see now, too, how close under the saddle the rack/fairing platform is able to get. I also like that the whole assembly can drop about another inch and the saddle itself is about an inch lower now, so I can loan this to someone pretty short, if needed.

upload_2016-5-13_17-43-48.png

The fish has seemed to follow the progress with interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably paint the saddle frame to match the final color scheme. You can see now, too, how close under the saddle the rack/fairing platform is able to get. I also like that the whole assembly can drop about another inch and the saddle itself is about an inch lower now, so I can loan this to someone pretty short, if needed.

Well, as long as they can swing their leg over the rack/tank to mount/dismount.

An added design feature from the lens of a cut-down and sanded and sanded and sanded beehive marker light (still needs a little fine tuning, but I need to make the brackets to mount them first). This will nullify any usefulness the small lights may have had as the fluting will disperse it to the sides, but I don't care. That's probably all for today. I'm going out for a bike ride ... did you know you can ride these things, too?! (<--Could have used an interrobang again.)

upload_2016-5-14_13-6-52.png

Was going to do one green and one red, but I think it would be too busy, but I like that they come in so many different colors. These 2" beehives are cheap and it's a simple mod. I even got to keep the 9-LED bases for some later use. OK, now I'm really leaving—no more being distracted by looking at all the other great builds going on.

I am actually working on this, but it's just a lot of wire wheel and sanding for paint. A LOT of sanding. You patina guys are smart—this old probably lead paint hangs on like a chimaera of a leech, a gecko, and an octopus. My porch is probably a superfund site now and the little cast off pieces of wire wheels like to play a fun game of hide and seek in my shoes, usually springing from their hiding spot in surprise while walking in public. Anyway, it's just about stripped and the hubs and hoops are primed.

Also, I never worked on this type of bike before and it's a shame they weren't built to the same standard as the paint! If I didn't need a real job, I'd start a bike building business and bring back some of these beautiful old designs (and some of my own), but with quality modern tubing, better build, modern parts, etc.

The beehive lenses look great.
Just a little DParton vibe.

I got the hoops and hubs painted (going back to paint more of the three-speed because I left the sides unpainted thinking it would look more factory, but I don't like it). I got a little bit of orange peel because I put this paint on a little thick, so I scuffed it with some 3M pads to clean it up and I have to say that, even with only 48 hours' cure, this is tough stuff! Color selection is limited, but these are huge cans, cover quickly, and are tough. For guys who do a lot of black, I bet you could do several bikes with one can. Also, no need for clear coat, just I found I have to be a little lighter on the coats than normal.

Attachments

• upload_2016-5-28_9-13-54.png
    upload_2016-5-28_9-13-54.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 236
Originally there was only going to be one (within a circle like a racing number), but I decided there will be more.

Well, I've cooled a little on it as it's difficult to apply smooth. I found it works a little better if a second coat is put on thick where you can see it wetted out, but it's right on the line of causing runs. Not looking forward to the body, but it IS tough stuff. I'm hoping I can get it right with clear coat.

On a more positive note I really dig the raw steel with rust converter on it. Maybe another build (though, I have so many color schemes I'd like to do that I doubt it will happen).

upload_2016-6-12_13-19-10.png

Really like the blue wheels and hubs - nice color!

furyus

Latest posts

Back