Internet speeds

Discussion in 'FORUM TALK' started by horsefarmer, May 4, 2016.

?

How's your internet speed?

1. Wonderful

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. OK

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Kinda slow sometimes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Pretty bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Stinks

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

This post by LTJ got my attention, rather than hijack Pushie Pirate's build thread, thought I would start a new one here.

Run http://www.speedtest.net/
    and please post your results here. I did a screen grab using Prt Scrn button on my pc and cropped it.

Here is mine:
    net speed 5-2016.jpg

Funny story like 15 years ago they buried HUGE fiber optic cables on the edge of our hayfield - we still have 1 choice for ISP - Centurytel our phone co. and it comes in DSL form over our twisted pair copper wires to our home. As far as I know the fiber optic cables the ran by us may still be "dark". :crazy2:

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  2. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

Wow! That is bad too!
    We had good speeds when we first connected to the fixed wireless service we are on, (From memory 43mbps down and 25mbps up) but it has been getting steadily worse since...

Luke.

3. horsefarmer

horsefarmer

Ya, We are supposed to have 6M down I believe, but catch is "up to 6M" LOL. Weekday evenings when everyone is on it gets worse. :(
    It's not just a computer either, DW has a Ipad and also her Iphone which gets signal from a Microcell on our internet connection cause AT&T cell coverage on our farm is nonexistant. Even our TV is run off a computer for streaming, sometimes we have to shut down devices to get 1 to work right. But "don't get me going" :soapbox:

LukeTheJoker likes this.
  4. LukeTheJoker

LukeTheJoker Moderator

I am having to check in to ratrodbikes.com after 1am in the morning, it is the only time I get decent speeds to keep up with the huge amount of threads and pics associated with the build-off.

To give you an idea, my usual time would be about 7:30-8:00pm, at that time I got a 64ms ping time, a 2.33mbps download and a 1.85 upload speed. I didn't even bother trying to open the site...

Here is one from now at 2:00am:

Telstra internet 2.JPG

We are meant to be getting 25 down and 5 up at all times, nice to see we get it sometimes at least!

Luke.