In regards to next year's RRBBO...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we allowed to redo bikes we built in prior Build Offs? I wanted to do a whole lot more to my bike, Dumpster Diamond, but due to a variety of issues, I had to scale back my plans for this bike. Now that I know what I really want to do with this bike, I was wondering if I could revisit this year's Build Off bike in next year's Build Off, and what would be the rules regarding that?
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 3.37.09 PM.png
BFtD_hawthorne180.jpg

Are we allowed to redo bikes we built in prior Build Offs? I wanted to do a whole lot more to my bike, Dumpster Diamond, but due to a variety of issues, I had to scale back my plans for this bike. Now that I know what I really want to do with this bike, I was wondering if I could revisit this year's Build Off bike in next year's Build Off, and what would be the rules regarding that?
View attachment 137904View attachment 137901
I'm pretty sure as long as you fully dismantle it for the start date you are good to go :grin:

Builders have definitely used parts from previous build off bikes. Some even have used a frame from before and gone a different direction in the build on another build off.
What you are describing is more or less continuing on from where you left off in this build off into another one.
Here's a suggestion. We have 8 months before the start of the next RRBBO. If you have the time and resources, why not do all your 'finishing' mods and touches to Dumpster during that time, and keep your mind open to a new / different concept for BO #16? As BentRims ^ said, it's a cool bike already as it stands.

I'm pretty sure as long as you fully dismantle it for the start date you are good to go :grin:
So it'd have to disassembled before the start date, or I'd have to disassemble it once I enter?
Why not? It's a Diamond in the rough? It's RaT-TaSTicK as is IMO.

Dumpster Bike Yup
RaT Silver Yes Please
Number Plate Yummy

Though? If ya feel the need? :rockout:
It turned out alright, but I had to sacrifice a lot of ideas for the sake of time and money. Heck, I was originally going to paint this bike, not leave it bare metal.
Builders have definitely used parts from previous build off bikes. Some even have used a frame from before and gone a different direction in the build on another build off.
What you are describing is more or less continuing on from where you left off in this build off into another one.
Here's a suggestion. We have 8 months before the start of the next RRBBO. If you have the time and resources, why not do all your 'finishing' mods and touches to Dumpster during that time, and keep your mind open to a new / different concept for BO #16? As BentRims ^ said, it's a cool bike already as it stands.
I'm not quite sure I'd call it continuing, since I actually want to paint the bike next time, instead of leaving it bare metal with a clear coat, and the tank would definitely be a do-over. It's a lot rougher in person than it is in the photos. Sure, there would be a lot of add-ons that got cut for time during this year's Build Off, but it wouldn't look like the same bike once it's done.

I could try working more on Dumpster Diamond in the meantime and thinking about what I'll build next, but I only have so much cash left to work with, as this Build Off put a rather large dent in my savings, and I currently don't have a steady job and a place of my own to help justify buying more bikes. I've got less than 10 bikes total as it is, and most of them are already in various stages of build progress and taking up quite a bit of space as a result.

Honestly, re-entering Dumpster Diamond and restarting from almost scratch would just be easier and more cost-effective for me than buying yet another project right now. I won't lie though, I have been eyeing a few cheap frames and one not-so-cheap bike on Facebook Marketplace recently, so there's a chance I might be on the verge of making a somewhat financially-irresponsible decision again soon.
I've already got a completely different idea forming for the next one...different direction , different fun :)
Same bike, or a new one entirely?
Yeah, I saw that one. So I guess it'd be okay?

The rules for this year state:
"Bike build must begin on or after May 1st, 2020. This isn't a bike show...it's a build off competition. The point is to build a bike and document the progress in the time frame given"
My interpretation is that as long as this build is completed in the timeframe, it's good. However, I would want the new build to be quite different from the previous one, not just a reassemble with minor tweaks. It is worth noting that I have not been, and probably will not, be a competitor in the big Build Off

Umm.. there's quite a bit of time till the next Build-Off, and there's a Butt load of Dumpsters out there *Just say'n* LOL!
Have you ever found bikes in a local dump, landfill, or metal scrappers' place? How could I get into those places to look for bike projects without getting in trouble? Some of the local cash for metal places won't let me come in and look around, even if I offer to buy whatever I find.

Have you ever found bikes in a local dump, landfill, or metal scrappers' place? How could I get into those places to look for bike projects without getting in trouble? Some of the local cash for metal places won't let me come in and look around, even if I offer to buy whatever I find.

Yeap! Really sucks too, Apartment complex's are the best IMO though you'll get some :crazy: looks. Back when I lived in area with like 1000+ unit's in a few blocks bikes were tossed out like crazy and mostly low-end newer bikes.

My build off bike has already gotten modded and is going to get some more over the winter that would have broken class 1 rules. I'm not going to post any photos until the build off is completely over. That said, this past spring there weren't many good bones old bikes for sale around here at fair prices. This summer I bought a couple and have a crusty & rusty build off candidate that set me back $35. It is dismantled, crated, and shelved until the next build off begins so I don't find myself in a sellers market again. In the mean time the hunt for junk to build my parts stash back up begins and also spending some time to learn some painting skills.

Latest posts

Back