In-frame tank motorized build

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still in the planning/collecting stages of this project, but I'd like to post up my plan ahead of time. I'm not sure what kinds of problems I'll run into along the way, so I'm excited to hear/see what kind of feedback folks will have here.

I want to build a motorized bike using one of these new-to-me tank-frames:
3184_large.jpg

The picture is from Gasbike.net, where I bought the kit (including the 66cc motor).

I've built a motorized bike in the past, but I'd like to build this one from the ground up, take my time, and use decent parts so that it performs better and scares me less. Aside from the frame/motor, the only other part I've picked up so far is a set of whizzer forks off of the ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Fork-Assy ... 16&vxp=mtr

Other things I'd like on this build, in no particular order, and not all particularly thought out:
*Shift Kit
*Internal gear hub (of some flavor)
*Stick/suicide shifter
*Disk brakes
*Big fat tires (24x3)
*Expansion chamber
*Low-slung, wide, sprung saddle
*Probably some other things I can't remember as I'm typing this.

I also photochopped a picture to help me visualize it all:
Edited.jpg

Anyhow, if you foresee any problems, feel free to let me know. If you see any other ideas or room for improvement, I'm all ears as well.

My first parts are HERE, so I actually got to mock things up a bit tonight. The wheels aren't meant for this project, but I had them handy so I laid them in the dropouts for reference.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around some of my goals, and right now, the brakes are bothering me. I'd like to set this thing up with Disc brakes so I've got some decent stopping power. It doesn't look like the whizzer fork has standard mounts, though, so I think I'm foreseeing some grinding/welding in my future.

Anyhow, here's this evening's mockup:
Motard%252022-Feb.jpg

Update time!

So I have another batch of parts, including Rims, Tires, and Hubs (but not spokes :roll:). I finally decided to ditch the disc brake idea. I still think it would've looked cooler, but it would've been more cost for more work. I am going with Sturmey Archer Drum brakes instead, which should hopefully stop me well enough, and be pretty reliable at the same time.

I posted a new thread, looking for advice on painting, lacing, and fitting my wheels in the How-To forum.

I'll try to post a picture update with another on-the-floor mockup when I have my tubes.

Oops, looks like its been two months since my last update. With the end of semester at school, I honestly haven't gotten much work done until the last week or so, but here's an updated picture from last night. I'm REALLY starting to get excited about it!

DSC02550.JPG

I've got the motor in pieces in the living room - I'll be cleaning up the ports before mounting. The biggest remaining challenge (I think) is fitting that front wheel... The hub has an OLD of 110mm, while the fork (whizzer fork) has a 140mm spacing!! I think I'll be grinding off the dropouts and welding a new pair in their place.

Latest posts

Back