I'm Doing Another Beast

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im doing a build on one of my best friends Beast. He got his a couple weeks before I for mine, and did a few simple mods as soon as he got it. Changed bars, stem, cranks, seat, removed kickstand and chain guard, and put a suspension seat post on it.

Now its time to take it to another level!

The plan is paint, disc brakes, and gears for now. Some lightening too.

I got his front wheel drilled and reassembled:

IMG_1882_zps1bd74065.jpg

Time to get to work:

IMG_1883_zps46242dfd.jpg

The next few steps were a bit more intense. My buddy got a choppers US disc/freewheel hub, a 6 speed freewheel, and a 180mm rotor. I had to add a spacer and move the axle towards the drive side. It was just BARELY long enough to fit. Ill probably look out for some 3/8 all thread to make him a proper length axle.

IMG_1873_zps77460e80.jpg

Next was to widen and offset the frame to fit the slightly wider choppers US hub. I only had to widen it about 10mm, but I wanted as much of that on the drive side, so that the chain would clear the tire in all 6 rear gears.

Since he has already been striping the paint off the bike, I busted out the MAP gas! Gotta love getting a frame glowing red!

IMG_1876_zps262bd552.jpg

IMG_1875_zps306b157c.jpg

The results were perfect!

IMG_1877_zps92c8555c.jpg

IMG_1878_zpsab17f84e.jpg

Nest step was to make the rear disc brake mount:

IMG_1886_zps93b9a553.jpg

IMG_1885_zpsdad96ec0.jpg

And a 10x1mm nut used as a derailed hanger. I notched the dropout to get the nut closer to the cogs and to make it more solid:

IMG_1888_zpsad1aaa03.jpg

Thats about all I got done tonight. Next step is to remove the paint and drill the rear wheel. I took the tire off and found that they didn't use the correct rim strip from the factory. I got a bit of a laugh out of this:

IMG_1889_zps9391b8ce.jpg

The plan is to have a working rear derailer and rear disc brake for a ride this weekend. That should be doable!

blown240 said:
I took the tire off and found that they didn't use the correct rim strip from the factory. I got a bit of a laugh out of this:

IMG_1889_zps9391b8ce.jpg

Maybe they were trying to further lighten the bike... probably saved 2 lbs. :lol: :mrgreen:

outskirtscustoms said:
So if I sent you my beast how much for the full custom treatment like yours? :mrgreen:

lol, you can do it. You just gotta start cutting!

blown240 said:
outskirtscustoms said:
So if I sent you my beast how much for the full custom treatment like yours? :mrgreen:

lol, you can do it. You just gotta start cutting!

Yeah but I don't have a welder to put it back together.

Ya, that would help!

My welder was under $300. Its not super heavy duty, but for frames its fine.

I had one of the Harbor Freight wire feed welders but the wire feed mechanism gave out after literally 2 welds :roll: I took it back and told them to keep their junk. One of these days I'll get another welder just trying to find a job right now so I have some money.

Mine is a Lincoln that someone had returned to Home Depot. I understand about not having a job. Ive only got 3 days a week right now...

Yeah what's funny is back when I was in high school auto tech they all told us oh there's a huge shortage of technicians in the automotive field... Now EVERY auto place I go to won't even hand me an application because things are slow and they are not hiring. :roll:

Ive gotten more done on this bike. The rear wheel is now drilled with a 6 speed freewheel and a disc brake. We went for a 10 mile dirt ride today. Both bikes performed great, but this one needs a front brake to really be able to push it.

Here are some build pics:

Wheels:

IMG_1895_zps8231b907.jpg

Cable Guides:

IMG_1901_zps02515672.jpg

IMG_1902_zps84eee933.jpg

Rear Disc:

IMG_1903_zps6b9a6774.jpg

Gears:

IMG_1904_zps2d4f6d0b.jpg

The Bike:

IMG_1913_zpsaa5dba09.jpg

Next for this bike is to finish stripping off the paint, clear coating it, and then the front brake.

Well thanks, I now want a beast in my stable. All these years with no goose in the house.
Nice work, cool retro rim treatment.
Can I ask, what paint scheme?

Would you consider:A. Selling the linkage fork you made and building yourself a newer better one?
Or B. Making one to sell to someone?

Gravelo said:
Would you consider:A. Selling the linkage fork you made and building yourself a newer better one?
Or B. Making one to sell to someone?

I have actually had about 7 people ask me the same question. Once I get some more rides on this one I may start making them. I really want to do them in Aluminum though, because a 10lb fork is too heavy. It really does work great though!

Latest posts

Back