Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20170220-021645.jpg
Hello! Thank you for adding me to the page. I have a AMF Hawthorne Cruiser that I have been told is between 1940's and 1960's. I know the Star crank makes it worth more, but is it original? The only thing not original on the bike is the seat. It also has an old, metal liscense plate wrapped around the frame that says 1942. Any idea what year this is and how much it's worth? Thank you in advance for helping me figure this out! I have looked at so many pictures online and still can't get a positive ID.

Last edited:
I would say latest 50s to earliest 60s. Sometime in that range AMF went to seat post clamps from wedges, and I think the star sprockets ended in ~'63. Someone here will have more detailed info...but, that's the ballpark, I believe.

Welcome to RRB!
Jason

I would say latest 50s to earliest 60s. Sometime in that range AMF went to seat post clamps from wedges, and I think the star sprockets ended in ~'63. Someone here will have more detailed info...but, that's the ballpark, I believe.

Welcome to RRB!
Jason
Thank you, Jason! I sure do appreciate the welcome and your help as well! What do you think the value would be on this bad boy? Thanks, again!

RG is spot on...I'd say very late '50s based on the seat post, AMF graphics, and the "star-spangled" chain ring. Value depends on location and desirability. I put this bike in the category of "nice, but not particularly uncommon or collectible."

I agree with the above, late 50's. Forks are straight, looks like original paint and the chain guard has the graphics still looking good. As for value, it's worth more than you could sell it for. It's an American Classic in good condition from looking at the pic.

Is the 1942 bike tag available?

Depends on the area, for value. AMFs aren't generally super desirable... middleweights aren't super desirable. Around here there doesn't seem much supply or much of a community for old bikes...so, asking prices vary a lot. I can't really give you a value, but, can share how I would see it, personally.

If I saw this bike on my local CL...I would probably watch it if it were listed at/under $175...and would consider going to look at it at/under $125. I probably wouldn't pay more than $100.

If I were selling it...I would probably list it at $200…dropping as low as $150 if not much action. But, would probably take $100 depending on the day and buyer.

Hope that helps,
Jason

Hahah Love finding locals on here, welcome to this madness called collecting.
I remember you trying to sell this on boise's Craigslist, ya I would take $100 as soon as you get an offer. Idaho does not have a market for vintage bicycles, all the bikes I've sold locally have to $100-$150 tops. And thats depending on what the bikes make and model are.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back