I know what the bike is, but....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have no idea what the front rim is.

The bike in question is a '75 Sting Ray; but there's two reasons why I'm led to believe the rim on the front is incorrect:

-It doesn't have any markings on it that I can find.

......and the kicker
-It's got a 20x2.125 tire on it.

At a glance; it resembles an S-2, but not quite. It's a drop-center (I think that's what it's called) ; but the drop is not as wide as an S-2.

How can I ID it without driving myself nuts?

Since I'm planning on getting a 16" for the front anyway; I'm not that pressed about it, but curiosity is getting the better of me.

Any markings on the hub? Is it an aluminum flanged hub or a stamped steel chrome thing?

Does the rim have any knurling along it? Schwinn's S-7 rims had a single knurl down the center, right through the spoke holes. S-2s, mostly, had 2 rows of knurling. In any case an S-2 wouldn't be on the front of most models.

Sounds like someone stuck a wheel from a Huffy or Murray on there.

--Rob

NLCTVWguy said:
Any markings on the hub? Is it an aluminum flanged hub or a stamped steel chrome thing?

Does the rim have any knurling along it? Schwinn's S-7 rims had a single knurl down the center, right through the spoke holes. S-2s, mostly, had 2 rows of knurling. In any case an S-2 wouldn't be on the front of most models.

Sounds like someone stuck a wheel from a Huffy or Murray on there.

--Rob

No knurling that I could see. It appears to be aluminum flanged.

I found some markings:

304-EXC-L-IVC

Latest posts

Back