I just commuted 18 miles on a motorized swingbike.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just rode a motorized swingbike about 18 miles to work. I nearly destroyed the rear slick. The chain was rubbing the sidewall. I may have to get a narrower tire on my lunch break. The headlight shook loose. I stopped to tighten it. The drive chain stretched enough that it fell off twice. The wires for the ignition broke from the vibrations. I fixed that on the way too. At least it still runs. Maybe I should have started with a smaller distance. I'm not sweating but I think it would have been faster to pedal my fixed gear.

A friend of mine was encouraging me to motorize my swing bike. Seems sketchy! And fun... got any pictures?

I sold this frame and put everything on a different swingbike frame but this is the picture I have right now.
IMG_1001.PNG

I made it back home with much less trouble. None in fact. I bought and swapped out the rear tire during lunch for a much narrower 2.3" tire as opposed to the 20x3 that was on it and took two links out of the chain. I did stop for about 10 minutes on the way home to top off the tank at a gas station for $.83. I figure that makes it about 70mpg at wide open throttle almost the entire way. The paint on the head looks a little cooked but it was running strong as I pulled into the driveway. I wore a full face helmet. I felt a little dorky, but it made people smile and I am sure it gave people something to talk about.

36 miles at 20+mph on a swingbike feels good. Probably just a one time thing though.

Spanish Fork is pretty flat..Motor?
Yes it was a mostly flat ride. I had to cross over the freeway and some tracks a few times. The motor is one of those cheap Chinese kits advertised as 80cc's. The pull start is not retracting now. I'll have to pull that off and see what's going on.

I removed the head to see what the cylinder wall looked like. It definitely has scratching but everything spins freely. It all felt smooth to the touch. Maybe I will try increasing the compression while I have the head off.
IMG_1611.JPG

The pull start broke internally from poorly designed tolerances. I think I can fab up a solution for that.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back