I call it Billie Jo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a shorter seat tube framed bike to ride comfortably. When I decided to get back into bikes I really wanted a cruiser type of bike but the adult male bikes (at least 26" wheels) seemed to be too tall. I ended up with a Huffy Parkside hybrid to ride, but still wanted a cruiser. Then I found this 26" Huffy ladies Good Vibrations bike at a local thrift store for $30 that I could ride. Someone repainted it light brown but I could see the outline of the lettering through the paint. I really like the faded white walls too! So I bought it and began to build my ratty cruiser boys bike...
BillieJo.jpg

Having no welder, I made a top tube from PVC pipe and glued it into place with GOOP. I was going to use J B Weld but thought the flex of the frame and PVC may cause problems, so I used the GOOP to keep the joints a bit flexible. Also changed out the 48 tooth front sprocket for a 36 tooth one to make getting up hills easier. Painted the frame with Krylon Satin Black and the fenders/chain guard with Rustoleum Flat Iron. Changed out the stem as the original had developed some cracks in it. I still have memories of riding a bike as a kid with a cracked stem and suddenly having the handle bars loose in my hands while riding! Like the old, "Here, you take the wheel!" gag from old movies.
BillieJo6.jpg

The next steps are to build a tank and and rear rack in a 40's/50's style. No metal for those either. Planning to use wood. New vintage styled hand grips are on order. I may replace the pedals with something more "old timey" looking, but not sure.

Been stupid hot the last week or so, not much getting done on Billie Jo. Did get the fender tips trimmed in white and the tank sides about ready for fitting and final paint.
BillieJo8.jpg

Here's the wooden tank sides to give you an idea...
BillieJo9.jpg

Got the tank mounted and took a few pictures. Still need to come up with some kind of graphic for the tank. Probably built a rear rack for the bike too.
BillieJo10.jpg
bobber-n-billie.jpg
BillieJo11.jpg

Stuff has slowed a bit due to the NC heat! Got a simple wing graphic on the tank. May try some pin striping around the edges. Also have nearly finished the headlight. Needs a little more paint. Kinda changed directions with some copper tube truss rods. Still working on a design for a rear rack...
wings.jpg
lettherebelight.jpg

No, I'm not building a pair of Elton John glasses. They are medallions to go on the sides of the tank. The center circle will hold a reflector. After fabrication they were slathered with a generous dose of Bondo putty. Now to finish sand and figure out how to paint them. And what color reflectors to use...
BillieJo25.jpg
BillieJo26.jpg
20170829_184935.jpg

Got the tank emblems done and mounted. Also made a rear reflector and mounted it on the rear fender. Beinga 50's styled bike I felt it needed a tail fin, so I put one on the reflector housing! LOL
BillieJo29.jpg
BillieJo32.jpg
BillieJo31.jpg
Billie Jo is basically done, but I still want to build a rear rack and try my hand at some fauxtina.

Doing pretry well so far. Even in the NC sun for hours at a time. Goop is also an adhesive. They have Plumbers Goop and Shoe Goop for shoe repairs and plain Goop. May ne more kinds. Mo relation to tha hand cleaner. LOL

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Billie Jo Update:

I guess you could say Billie Jo has been dumped for a new bike. It was a fun build but now I have a new cruiser style bike and poor ol' Billie Joe has been turned into a parts bike. Her handlebars are now on my Parkside, the front sprocket is on the new bike and few other parts have gone to get my wife's old bike rolling again so she can ride with me when our schedules allow.

Billie Jo Update:

I guess you could say Billie Jo has been dumped for a new bike. It was a fun build but now I have a new cruiser style bike and poor ol' Billie Joe has been turned into a parts bike. Her handlebars are now on my Parkside, the front sprocket is on the new bike and few other parts have gone to get my wife's old bike rolling again so she can ride with me when our schedules allow.

It happens.

Latest posts

Back