Huffy Premier review and build.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Picked up one of those Pacific built Huffy Premier 29'ers Wallyworld was clearing out.
k2-_1458d759-ebae-413e-be56-a07631c89585.v4.jpg-6f6ec7021d3e1d0903187b8a2a33936f5b11ff17-webp-450x450.webp

Price was $80 shipped - $35 credit for starting a new WM visa card = $45 out of pocket!
Not huge fan of cheapo china bikes, but never owned a 29'er and liked the "vintage" frame design.
Came to my door by FedEx - box slightly beat and couple scratches in paint, but bike is in pretty good shape. Wheels spin true, but bottom bracket and headset are crazy tight, gotta pull em apart and grease em. Pulled ugly skirts off first thing, then aired up the tires and took it for a spin around the block. Rides nice, seems geared well but bars are way too narrow and bike feels twitchy - maybe not enough rake in the fork design? Gonna change it up - just not sure exactly how yet. :grin:

I didn't like the pedals;
After riding awhile.:eek:

Cycle is 28 ..not 29 .:happy:
Skirt,& fender removal:
Lost 8lb. ,right there.:grin:
Yes, stock Bars: are too narrow,:D
You will find, bicycle won't
Be "twitchy": if fro t tire is on in right direction.:emo:.
There is an arrow on sidewall.:bigboss:

Ill have to confirm tire direction! Absolute dry BB! Coaster is dragging gonna lube and adjust the dang thing. Pedals seem kinda fragile prob gonna swap em out. Wife thinks me nuts to tear into a "new" bike! I still like it tho. :p

KJV, I was not able to find a direction arrow but the front tire was reversed from the rear tread so I flipped it.
Also got rear coaster greased up and spins smooth and quiet now!
Gonna grease the headset next it is very tight and notchy. Wow they really dont grease these bikes at all! :eek:

I'm looking at the Wal-Mart schwinn swindler my self. Seems to me the biggest issues with off the shelf department store bikes is that they are never set up properly. You can't really blame the minimum wage staff for slapping together the floor models. They don't give a darn and why should they? Then, folks buy them off the floor considering them Toys and essentially disposable. All the bikes need basic set up and tuning, but no one ever really does that.

With that said.. I like fender skirts and they seem alright with the attempt at a euru-city type of commuter bike look. But, I think they look best on a step-through type of frame

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk

Peejus,
I ordered my bike online with free shipping via FedEx, so bike came in a box, Preassembled - Just add front fender and wheel put handlebar/stem and seatpost in place and bolt on the pedals.
Of course, I've pulled the bottom bracket and coasterbrake apart and greased and adjusted them, removed some crappy stickers and cheesy reflectors and the skirt guards. So it is really a redo of some questionable factory assembly.

Fork is very upright, would like to change it by bending to get more rake and lower the front end to make the top tube more horizontal, any tips to get it more like this one by D J Bill?
DSCN4588_zpsjrjzdnwo.jpg

Threw a old Huffy 10 speed front fork and had to use different stem and bars, chain guards and old rear rack just to see what it looks like.
16113_d7e7e19b6d0b5bf587186683a1eebcca.jpg
16114_a407c185966432262036db212aa59db1.jpg
16116_97cc887521817f0390d8c73d6683173d.jpg
16117_59140d764cffecee7d64c1312c99d920.jpg
16118_e9d0e26c2e1a9686d38e0ead9e39761d.jpg

Thinking I'm gonna go for a 30's Elgin look and add the original front fender, but at a different angle like below...
old school bike logo.jpg

The fenders are wider than the forks though.
What is best way to get a "notch" in the fender to clear the fork?

Getting in on this. I have just bought one, they look perfect for a rod project. Plan is to put 26" wheels on, chrome forks, bmx cruiser bars and layback seat post, I have some goodyear tread tyres which should look good.
Does anyone know if I put 26" rims on will I be able to put normal brakes on? meaning will the pads hit the rims? this bike I believe has 28" rims, I'll post progress pics.

28" rims are 622mm, 26" are 559mm. That's a 63mm diff in diameter, so 31.5mm in brake reach (aka 1 1/4"). I think you would have to find some longer reach calipers...or make something to drop the mounting point.

Just a guesstimate,
Jason

28" rims are 622mm, 26" are 559mm. That's a 63mm diff in diameter, so 31.5mm in brake reach (aka 1 1/4"). I think you would have to find some longer reach calipers...or make something to drop the mounting point.

Just a guesstimate,
Jason
Yikes I don't have the skills, I might go the rear drum brake route then, I hate coaster brakes.

Latest posts

Back