Huffy mag chain size?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I've used a chrome KMC 1/2" x 3/32" chain on Huffy Rails and Super Stocks before. I switched to a brown chain to give a more stock appearance. Now I'm finding that the chain isn't sliding on the sprocket well. The picture may not show it, but the sprocket grabs a little because the chain doesn't slide down. This is fairly intermittent. I ground the back of the teeth just a little because I thought maybe the new chrome thickened up the teeth too much, but it's still happening. Now I'm wondering if the brown chains are just thinner? I haven't oiled the chain yet, but that shouldn't affect it like this.

So... I'm wondering: What chains do you use?

bkFww2.jpg

I have used the same chain and had good results. I have also used a number or Made in Taiwan chains and they have been ok.

I think it might be that the sprocket is slightly bent? If it is intermittent than one area might be slightly tweaked?

Try the chain on another chain wheel to see if it's the chain or the mag. You could also lay the chain next to another chain to see if there's any difference.

They did, but I believe a coaster brake sprocket would have less teeth. At least Schwinn Sting-Ray bikes are that way. The 5-Speed sprocket is 52 tooth, the coasters are less.

A coaster chain is 1/8 and a 5-Speed 3/32 like you have. If the coaster chain fits through the derailleur you can probably use it. I just picked up some KMC Z chains that look sort of vintage in 1/8 actually.

As for the differences between a coaster mag and a 5 speed one, I seriously doubt that Huffy would make one out of thicker metal than the other one. There's no reason to do that, and it would cost more.

My guess is not that the chrome made the teeth thicker across, but it made the U-shaped cutouts between the teeth smaller / shallower. In the pic it sort of looks like the chain is too short (pins not falling in the center between the teeth) which would happen if the chain wasn't seating all the way down. Try the chain on another mag and see if it goes down further on the teeth.

As for the differences between a coaster mag and a 5 speed one, I seriously doubt that Huffy would make one out of thicker metal than the other one. There's no reason to do that, and it would cost more.

My guess is not that the chrome made the teeth thicker across, but it made the U-shaped cutouts between the teeth smaller / shallower. In the pic it sort of looks like the chain is too short (pins not falling in the center between the teeth) which would happen if the chain wasn't seating all the way down. Try the chain on another mag and see if it goes down further on the teeth.
Usually it's fine. It's intermittent when it happens. But this is for my son, and I don't want the chain to get thrown while he's riding. I suppose I could file the front and rear of the teeth.

Latest posts

Back