Huffy Bicycle - Help - Springer Front Fork?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm very new to this thread (here's my first post), this looks like an awesome site so congrats to the creators of this page! I would appreciate any help on this budget build. I have an early 2000s Huffy Santa Fe cruiser men's bicycle (26" tire I guess they call it), I'm trying to build to replicate a '50s era bicycle, like a decked out Schwinn (tank, fenders, etc). I'd like to go with a springer front fork, one of those $40 replicas (not a lowrider one but the closest looking to an older style springer front fork). Does anyone have any experience with these, how do they hold up? Especially on a motorized bike build? Also...any modification needed to the front steer tube? I read where someone once said you might have to cut it down...never got into modifying a bike before so I appreciate any tips or help I can.

Thank you. I also apologize if a thread like this already exists or if this is an extremely common question, I'm not familiar with the forum yet.

Best,
Mike

The Springer fork you're talking about is doable on a motorized bike, I've done it. I wouldn't go with to big of an engine tho.
The steer tube sometimes needs to be cut down to fit the head tube of the frame, but not always. If it needs cut make your measurements and mark where the threaded portion needs cut. You'll want to thread the bearing race down just below your mark, and cut with a hacksaw or cut off disk. After the cut thread off the race to chase the threads.

I think there are videos on YouTube of this process, wouldn't hurt to check before you go cutting.

The forks should hold up well enough, except the chrome plating might not be the best quality. And just a suggestion, make sure to inspect all welds on the frame and fork. New box store bikes aren't built like the old stuff.

Good luck and welcome to the site, there's tons of knowledge here.

Biggest bug-a-boo with the Schwinn type springer is the mounting of and the spring loading that happens if you use a front brake. Not catastrophic, just something to be aware of. I definitely recommend a front brake, especially on a motorized bike.

personally I wouldn't use one of those forks on a motorized build. I have a couple of those springers & they are real sloppy. Spring bottoms out on me & I only weigh 160 lbs. I would suggest one of the repop 3rd generation monark type springers. Not cheap but a lot stronger & safer (cheaper than a trip to the hospital). Just my opinion.

personally I wouldn't use one of those forks on a motorized build. I have a couple of those springers & they are real sloppy. Spring bottoms out on me & I only weigh 160 lbs. I would suggest one of the repop 3rd generation monark type springers. Not cheap but a lot stronger & safer (cheaper than a trip to the hospital). Just my opinion.

Very solid point, I'll look into one of those. They definitely seem much more rugged. I'm also thinking if I can locate any '40s or '50s Balloon rims & tires, those just seem way safer to me than the beach cruisers of today. Thank you for your input!

Old balloon rims might not work on a front caliper brake, the sidewalls might not be parallel. I have used a front drum brake on a few old bikes. I just fixed a friends 50cc motorized bike. Several of the 14 gauge spokes on his rear wheel were broken and some were loose. I have heard pros and cons about using a rear wheel with 11 or 12 gauge spokes to make the rear more beefy. I don't know if this would solve his problem or not. His clutch was also problematic, but I fixed that. I think you have to be careful and meticulous to get things lined up right, like his chain guard for the motor drive was rubbing and I remounted it. Easy stuff but I think you have to do it right and eliminate all the problems when you build it. I have never built one but this looked like it was an easy enough thing to do, just a lot of fiddling around.

Latest posts

Back