Hub Help

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Hey all,

I'm trying to buy/trade for a Shimano 3CC 3 speed coaster brake hub. This one is complete and mounted on what I presume is the original wheel (not sure which one). What is the value of the hub and what are your thoughts on the quality or reliability?

My goal is to use it with a balloon tire frame and wheel on my 40's rat rod. Shifter will be located on the seat down tube…is this a good candidate?

Thanks,

BART

I rode one of those for years, an older 3CC I think. The shifter was on the left side same as the brake. I kept it adjusted and it always held up. I bought it used for 2 bucks at a flea market. I used a twist grip and hid the cable partially through the tank on my Schwinn. The coaster brake is okay, but I would recommend a front hand brake too. Mine didn't have an oil port, and I was told by a bike mechanic that they were lubed forever from the manufacturer, but I put some light oil down in the hole in the axle where the shift pin goes in.

old%20052_zpsjvkgoara.jpg

I have one on this bike, it works for casual street work. I'd also recommend a hand brake, the brake is little sketchy to use by itself. I also put in a little oil now and then the same way.
PTDC0055-2_zpsb6328150.jpg

I don't know what to say about price, but they're not particularly rare or sought after.

Thanks all, got myself a bit smarter and think I'm going to trade for the hub and wheel. The trade seems to be a win win. I'll transfer the hub to my wheel, change the sprocket and see how I like it (won't be my last shift set up)

Maybe I should have asked this before but; will the 3CC work with a Shamano 3 speed click style shifter normally found on the center bar of a 70's muscle bike?

Maybe I should have asked this before but; will the 3CC work with a Shamano 3 speed click style shifter normally found on the center bar of a 70's muscle bike?
Yep, it uses all the shimano 3 speed shifters. Before I found the twist grip, I had a standard handlebar shifter. Shimano 3 speeds are all the same from that period.

Yep, it uses all the shimano 3 speed shifters. Before I found the twist grip, I had a standard handlebar shifter. Shimano 3 speeds are all the same from that period.
That's great news, I was flying by the seat of my pants on this one. Gonna look kool!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back