How to treat or remove RUST

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Looking for some advice on my TOC restoration. It's been repainted, so I'm carefully stripping down to the original paint with denatured and 0000 steel wool. Only problem is the original black paint has some bigger spots where it's showing bare metal and rust. Non drive side chainstay has a huge section of rust "growth". (See below) Whats the best way to remove that? Its kind of thick... like I could grind it or file it away, but assume thats not the best way. Any advice?

Attachments

• IMG_3231.jpeg
    IMG_3231.jpeg
    331.8 KB · Views: 113
Hey everyone,
Looking for some advice on my TOC restoration. It's been repainted, so I'm carefully stripping down to the original paint with denatured and 0000 steel wool. Only problem is the original black paint has some bigger spots where it's showing bare metal and rust. Non drive side chainstay has a huge section of rust "growth". (See below) Whats the best way to remove that? Its kind of thick... like I could grind it or file it away, but assume thats not the best way. Any advice?
I've been using some wire brushes I get at NAPA that are about the size of toothbrushes. I scrub with warm soapy water until the rinse becomes clean. I follow that with green scrub pads with warm soapy water until the rinse is clear. It doesn't clean to bare shiny metal but leaves a nice darkened surface that looks great after applying BLO.

I've been using some wire brushes I get at NAPA that are about the size of toothbrushes. I scrub with warm soapy water until the rinse becomes clean. I follow that with green scrub pads with warm soapy water until the rinse is clear. It doesn't clean to bare shiny metal but leaves a nice darkened surface that looks great after applying BLO.

Cool. Thank you! I'm not in it for perfection, just to get off the chunky rust and keep it from continuing. This frame has like 10 dents, so she aint pretty anyway : )

I tried this today but the rust spot I had was just too big and thick. I opted for using soppy water and 600 grit belt sander paper by hand. Removed the rust down to bare metal. It’s pitted but looks fine after BLO.

I tried this today but the rust spot I had was just too big and thick. I opted for using soppy water and 600 grit belt sander paper by hand. Removed the rust down to bare metal. It’s pitted but looks fine after BLO.
Got an after pic?

Put Ospho on it and the rust that remains will be etched and converted to iron phosphate. do this after scraping off rust but before any paint.

Unfortunately I had already sanded the rust off before seeing this. Since the wheels, crank and chainring aren’t original, I’ll probably end up getting this blasted and painted in the spring.

Latest posts

Back