How to put a seat on Roadmaster

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my roadmaster has a 3/4 inch stem that is bent 90° 6" from the top. The rod will pull out quite aways but seems to have a stop. I dont know how to attach a seat to it as its smaller than anything i have
Thank you.

Pictures always help when describing your issues so i'm not really sure what the problem is with pulling it out. (?)

What I can tell you is that you have what is commonly called a 'lucky 7' seat post. In your case, most likely the seat clamp required has a smaller opening than modern saddles.

Good luck and welcome to the forum!

Here's photo of his bike from another thread.
index.php

As TRM stated, you've got a lucky 7 seat post and your modern saddle expects something bigger. Apparently, you can raise and lower it, so it's not seized in place. With the clamp loosened, it should pop right out. Perhaps it is mushroomed a little on the bottom end? A light film of grease and a soft mallet might get things moving.

Here's photo of his bike from another thread.
index.php

As TRM stated, you've got a lucky 7 seat post and your modern saddle expects something bigger. Apparently, you can raise and lower it, so it's not seized in place. With the clamp loosened, it should pop right out. Perhaps it is mushroomed a little on the bottom end? A light film of grease and a soft mallet might get things moving.
Thank you you all seem so knowledgeable compared to what I know. But im willing to learn.

A ‘modern’ seat post clamp is going to be 7/8. Where as the lucky 7 post takes a 5/8. I believe in the other thread you said the bike had the original seat when you got it. It’s possible to take the seat guts from the og saddle and use it on the modern seat (in a lot of cases)
I’ve had success in mating the 5/8 part of the seat guts (that would be with the og seat) that side onto the seat post, with the rest of the modern size guts. If that makes sense. I’d take some pictures, but I’m not home.

Last edited:
Here's a suggestion for your seat dilemma. The gap doesn't look wide, so why not wrap the post with a strip of old inner tube? Once things are clamped down, I bet it would be pretty sturdy and create a sort of mounting biscuit. If it doesn't work out, all you've sacrificed is time and a piece of tube that you'll likely reuse elsewhere. My bikes are scary silent because I tend to rubber isolate all the creaky bits.

You can take a piece of pipe with a 7/8 OD and 5/8 ID (I got one from the plumbing section of a hardware store) and fit it over the 7-post with a mallet so you can use "modern" seat clamps. If the pipe shim doesn't go on easy, you can just cut through it on one side to allow it to expand a little (which is what I had to do on my Iver).

15585393_10154347986748191_8722385552872534029_o.jpg

Like Duchess posted, I’ve shimmed mine with small pieces of copper pipe from the hardware store, I think I used a junction piece, like an elbow. I chose copper because it is ‘soft’ metal and stays in place when you tighten everything down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At a good hardware store you can find a “sleeve or spacer” with an approximate OD of 7/8” and ID of 5/8”. It will have slit as it has been rolled from flat stock. For extra compressibility run a hacksaw blade through the slit to open it up some. Now to have the perfect shim and they should have several lengths. Try ACE hardware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back