How to clean old spokes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fv2

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I want to reuse the spokes from the wheels on my build off bike, they're in good shape but the owner of the bike wants shiny spokes.

Anyone have any tips on cleaning up oxidation on them?

Evapo rust

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

It will shine up cad plated parts. If the spokes are down to bare metal them may re-rust

I give them a good scrubbing with some 0000 wool. I then wash with soapy water and then rinse. I let it dry well and then apply Rust Cure. Let it sit overnight and then polish with 0000 wool again. Works really well for me.
74d684102c9a9547998c7cdfeab5d169.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I give them a good scrubbing with some 0000 wool. I then wash with soapy water and then rinse. I let it dry well and then apply Rust Cure. Let it sit overnight and then polish with 0000 wool again. Works really well for me.
74d684102c9a9547998c7cdfeab5d169.jpg

Tell me more about rust cure

It is a spray bottle that you can buy at most hardware stores. About 10 ounces per bottle and costs around six bucks. Acts a rust inhibitor as well. Best one I have used yet.

Cool work on chrome too?

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

If theyre stainless and tarnished, I just use a scothhbrite and soapy water, Pinch and drag back and forth a few times.

Galvanized, gotta be careful, any acid based product (citric, oxalic, vinegar) may eat the galvanized off. Go very aggressive with the grit and youll rub the galvanized off. Evaporust sounds like a good call but ive never tried it on galvanized.

Check out bmxguru.com for spokes, great prices on stainless and colored cut to length. At his prices its barely worth the cramped hands to clean old ones - and Im a cheap @ss :21:

Latest posts

Back