How to age new tires?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've got a 51 Monark Rocket that I want to maintain the original paint and patina. The tires are shot and I want to replace them with a set of new Duro cream 26 x 2.125's. These new tires are gonna look nice, but the newness and brightness of the tires will stand out against the original paint and 64 year old patina. Any ideas how to make these new skins look old, or at least not stand out so much? Here's a pic of the bike right now. Duro's are on the way. I think those cream tires will really look good with this paint scheme.
12195977_1191183334230222_7006075856700764674_n.jpg

Ha! took some new white sneakers on a run thru the rain in Charlotte, NC. one time. They were red forever after that! :D

Thanks for the replies. Guess the best was is the easiest! NC red clay dirt it is!! As is the RRB way, I will post before and after pictures :)

Or go to a local job site and drop them in a portapotty for about a week! The secret is to retrieve them before the truck comes to clean it out! Oh..... And wear gloves.:grin:

I bet you will be happy as soon as you put them on.... :nod:
They will age soon enough.
Great looking bike...hope you post pics with new tires too.

I bet you will be happy as soon as you put them on.... :nod:
They will age soon enough.
Great looking bike...hope you post pics with new tires too.

Will do. Won't get the tires until next week, but they will be suitably "aged". On the fence about removing the corrosion on the rims. Was thinking about an oxialic acid bath, but would hate to damage the patina, so 000 steel wool and WD40 will be the way to go on the frame and tins followed by a boiled linseed rubdown and maybe some automotive paste wax. Ain't nothing like an original paint bike that shows it's age gracefully.
Oh, and found out yesterday it's a 1949, not 1951-earlier is better in this vintage bike game!

Another option is to use a fine scotchbrite pad and dip it in clr or evaporust. Wipe the frame down afterwards with a wet rag and then dry. Follow with your wax of choice. I use johnson paste wax. Your paint looks pretty nice already but on rusty bikes it'll really bring the color back out.

So a '47 24" Rocket has just fallen into MY lap, and I have a few questions for you regarding yours. [In hopes youre still active in some way or can see this.. or someone else wants to chime in].

Question one, It doesnt look like the Train Light [which IS of course Monark] and the rear Rack belong to this bike, As I understand it, they were deluxe [rack, tank, light..etc.] but to what end? Mine was bought without Bars, and pedals and a pretty tore up Saddle, however mines Also a '47 which to my understanding was the earliest year for these Models, so in some rights to be expected.

Question Two. Is your Saddle original? If so, I believe mine is accurate to my bike based on the shape of its front upward lean.

Three. Are your wheels, and if they are, what make are the hubs? My wheels arent original. White painted with twin stripes inside, but early 50's as it looks. The drive is a N-D Model D skiptooth and a Skipper Schwinn Sprocket [obviously incorrect, but where the skip setup was not only complete, but had a flexible and functioning skip chain, I really dont mind ;) I would however like to replace the Schwinn Clover Skip sprocket with a CWC Twisted/Flying Hearts sweetheart sprocket, maybe even an AMF Star Sprocket which I have a line in the water for right now given its a "Rocket" I think the star cut sprocket is befitting.] I dont plan to completely restore it to pinpoint accuracy, but some aspects I would like to be correct and if possible, have the correct parts on hand if I do decide to go the direction of a complete correct model, even if its still crusty and colorwise, hodgepodge.

Four. do you know ANYONE at ALL who has a front fork for the 24" Model [Triple stack that fits a 3-1/4? x 1-3/8 Headtube] I DO have the original, however it was badly bent back and had payed a few bucks to have it straightened only to the avail of it snapping in half due to inner rust within the steer tube which had thinned it out to a fragile weakness, snapping the steer tube roughly from the fork legs. I am ABSOLUTELY open to any and all fitting options and suggestions.

Five. Any information you can provide from Original Ad's to a complete Parts list with detail would be Really Really helpful. I believe the only Original parts for my model are the frame/badge/*now broken* forks/and Possibly the saddle and stem, which I have yet to be able to disassemble from the broken piece of steer tube yet.

I appreciate ANY and All replies in concerns to this. Thank you! [Sorry for revamping such an old post :p ]

FZ

Latest posts

Back