How do I tell if my stingray is full size or a junior?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a May 1965 20 inch boys schwinn stingray. I know that they made both stingrays and stingray juniors. The bike doesn't have the original handlebars anynmore so somehow I need to find out if its a normal stingray or not by measuring the frame I imagine.

The question is what does a full size stingray measure and what does a stingray junior measure? Do I measure the frame from the seat tube to the fork tube or somewhere else?

The bikes original color was red from the factory.

I don't know the measurements, but the distance on center from crank to top tube will be shorter on a Junior. If you post a picture up, it can probably be determined by the frame geometry.

I'm not sure how to tell the difference between a J-38 standard StingRay and a Junior. I do know that the '65 StingRay used the #1940a frame. This was the short frame that pops wheelies way too easy. They changed the frame in '66 to the #1936 frame which was a bit longer.

I have the book "Collecting Schwninn StingRay Bicycles 1963 1/2 - 1979" by Gordon. The specs for most StingRays are in there but not the Junior. :roll: Gary

I just put the pics up onto the original posting. The handlebars say WALD on them, not schwinn, to me the petals don't look right for a boys stingray and the kickstand seems odd, i seem to remember the shape being different.

I don't think the fork is correct (but I can't say for sure).

I am not sure if the gooseneck is correct or not either. The seatpost clamp bolt says AS on it, not S, so I assume its from an older schwinn and not right either. I also don't know if the seatpost is correct or not.

I know the wheels are wrong, the seat is wrong, the grips are wrong and the tires are wrong and likely the sissybar is wrong.

I don't know if the rear wheel is supposed to be a S-2 double knurl wheel or not. I hope its not supposed to be a S-7 rear wheel.

No idea if fenders were standard or not, or what they looked like. The original color was red from the factory. I was always told that for 1965 schwinn stingrays only came in yellow or blue. I don't know what is right and what is wrong on this bike, other than the items I listed above I know are wrong.

Looking at catalog images for 1965, it looks like the frame geometry is the same. Catalog images aren't always representative of exactly what you were going to get but these ones are at least real pictures, not artist renderings.

It does describe the Junior to have a "compact" 20in frame, though. So it may have actually been smaller. I know the later ones were smaller frames. I'd try removing the paint on the chainguard if you're really curious.

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e77/speedmanxx/1965dlr_Stingray_Jr.jpg

http://schwinnstingray.net/gallery/65/65 Schwinn Sting Ray specs.JPG

I just got done removing the 3 layers of paint on top of the original red. (blue, black underneath that, gray primer under that, then original red).

Appears the bike was a Schwinn Typhoon. What did a 1965 red schwinn typhoon look like originally?

If I am not mistaken the Typhoon was a cruiser style bicycle. Although I thought it was offered in the 24" and 26" variety.

Also that is not a Schwinn sissy bar or seat. That is also not a Sting-ray fork on that bike either.

I would check and see if the Typhoon was offered in a 20" variety. If so I think that will explain what you have. A hopped up kids bike. My mom and her brothers had cruiser bikes that they converted to "sting-rays" in the mid to late 60's. If the Typhoon did indeed come available as a 20" bike I would guess that this scenario plays true for this bike as well.

Otherwise I would guess this to be a previously stripped and abandoned sting-ray frame that was stripped and converted to bmx in the 70's and was re-stripped for a new or another purpose.

As far as telling the difference between a junior and standard stingray, I think the number on the dropout may indicate if this is a junior. I forgot the junior is also a 20" bike. I am guessing the junior and standard sting-ray use the same size frame and fork. But intentionally has lower rise bars and a lower mounted seat with a shorter sissy bar.

Ah, that solves it. A 20" Typhoon did exist. It was a single speed middleweight. So S-7 wheels.

Here's the words straight from the 1965 Schwinn catalog:

Typhoon
20" model Genuine Schwinn craftsmanship at a popular low price. Schwinn cantilever frame, sturdy tubular rims, built-in kickstand, 4-coat baked-on finish. Flamboyant red or black.
L32 20" Typhoon, coaster brake... $36.95

I believe the chainguard on the junior/shorty frame measures something like 13.25 inches from bolthole to bolthole. I think that the standard Stingray guard is a tad longer.

Simple answer is that the frame is a Junior size frame, not a full size Stingray.

Since you've already determined it was a Typhoon, that narrows it down. Basically it's a "pig bike", a 20" bike that was customized to be like a Stingray.

Visually, the two frame types look different to me but I have trouble quantifying it. The seat tube is lower on a Junior, closer to the rear fender, and overall the thing is shorter. It was meant for little kids, where the Stingray was meant to fit up to teenagers (and adults can ride them as well.)

The long frame started mid-65, approximately April. So the "EA" date doesn't rule that out. (May of 65).

The 20" Typhoon was available at least up into the early '70s. Some specs:

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961_1970/1964dlr_Typhoon.html

http://www.trfindley.com/flschwinn_1961_1970/1967_29.html

So... you figured out that it was a Typhoon and still sold it to me as a Stingray. Nice.

I am being back a dead link but I got a JA bike that was repainted in spry and the PG color was violet. He owner said it was a shorty?

The easy way to tell even from photos on the web is to look at the seat stays. On a jr they are almost a straight line from the dropout to the seat tube and on a full size stingray, even the shorter ones the seat stays are a lot more curved or rounded. If you look at a lot of photos of both and notice that difference it will start to get easy and you'll be able to pick out a jr with just a glance. Keep in mind the earliest stingrays used that same jr size frame until 1965.

Three years and no one gave a clear answer to the question. Hopefully some other people find it useful...

Latest posts

Back