How do I Remove This Crank?? Schwinn World Build- Finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GTV

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
1983 Schwinn World (built by Giant). I'm not familiar with this crankset style. I took the nut off of course and tapped the pin around but nothing seems to be moving. Figured I'd ask before I break something :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3515.JPG
    IMG_3515.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 283
Most of us whack on it with a hammer, but the proper tool is here:
http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/CotterPress/

More info here:
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tooltips/cotters.html

PS- i hate cottered cranks, but i run'm anyway if the front sprocket is rad enough and/or the bike has a Nottingham/Raleigh spec BB shell. You've got a standard BSC-spec BB shell and some very normal front sprockets... if you got a square taper crank/BB (or a couple bucks) handy, you might consider the upgrade...

Thank you, sir! It came apart nicely. I knew that it was going to be heavy but HOLY CRAP. As if the cranks were made from cast iron! I have a complete Super Maxy crankset from an early 80's Schwinn Super Le Tour I'm planning on using. If I can swap the entire package on to the World frame without modification that would be awesome.

Thanks again!

The Super Maxy and BB cups will all swap right in.... you may or may not need a different length spindle, depending on what rear hub set-up you're running on the World, but if it's going to be a 5, 6, or 7speed derailer set-up, then yeah, the whole crankset and BB from the Super le Tour should work fine.

Super MAxy is a hot crank, BTW.... you'll save a lot of weight and also the headaches that can come with cottered cranks...

Last edited:
I'm going to single speed it. 44t chainring on the inner, BBG bashguard in place of the outer ring.

I have a similar set up on my fixed gear Voyageur as well, it must be 1/3 of the weight.

Attachments

• IMG_2724.JPG
    IMG_2724.JPG
    352.1 KB · Views: 210
Today I took the frame all the way down, cleaned and detailed everything, then put it back together with the Super Maxy crank. It installed perfectly, the BB shell is the exact same as the Super Le Tour. :) Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_3524.JPG
    IMG_3524.JPG
    360.3 KB · Views: 208
Sure thing. Most import Schwinns will have BSC-threaded bb shells. LEt me know if you run into problems with chainline.

I need a wheelset first. I love the look of these but I'd like to find a better price if possible.
http://www.statebicycle.com/products/retro-reissue-lo-pro-wheelset

This bike is kinda weird. It uses a light chromoly frame but all the components were heavy garbage. On the contrary the Super Le Tour used a standard steel frame but had better compontents. I'll be using the best of both.

Today I got lucky, twice! A few months ago I bought an SR Laprade seat post and stem (separately) off eBay for a different project (that has since stalled). I screwed up, both were the wrong size for that bike. So in the parts box they went. I tried them out on the World today, and they are both the right size! So much better than the chrome steel garbage that was on there. I also robbed a black Brooks saddle from the same dead project as well. It's coming together great, I'm really liking it.

Attachments

• IMG_3526.JPG
    IMG_3526.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 191
Schwinn in the 80s was completely chaotic; they were trying to survive, and dealing with all sorts of different suppliers and sales strategies. By '83 or so, Super Le Tours were full chromo and butted, but i suspect they had piles of the earlier-style carbon-steel Bridgestone-built Le Tour frames, so they created the "Super" le Tour as a way to move those frames; kind of a "lipstick on a pig" strategy-- The early Le Tours are quality, nice-riding frames but they were heavy and by the late 70s, they lacked significant amounts of curb appeal.... putting nice components on'm probably enhanced the desirability via the bling factor.

When Schwinn got Giant to start building frames for them, they were able to get incredibly nice frames for the price; the quality-to-price ratio was amazing, at the time....

I looked it up last summer when I picked this bike up, I think this is the first bike Schwinn had built by Giant? I don't even believe it was listed in the catalog at the time. Strange bird. I really like the frame though, I love the paint detail around the lugs. It will compliment my Voyageur very nicely.

Just bit the bullet and ordered that wheel set. Free shipping and 10% off discount code helped a little. Making good progress, can't stop now!

Wheelset arrived, I wasted no time putting them on. I really like the classic low profile hoops for this bike. Gold chain to compliment the gold stripes around the frame lugs. Chain alignment is perfect right out of the box. I need fenders next, then figure out how much rubber I can stuff in them. Really happy with it so far!

Attachments

• IMG_3536.JPG
    IMG_3536.JPG
    400 KB · Views: 205
With road frames, you might find it easier to measure clearances without neither fenders or tires, and calculate from there, as road fenders are available in multiple sizes, and along with frame clearance, the intended tires are a big factor in choosing which size the fenders oughta be. Generally, you want fenders that are at least 8mm wider than the tires...

I picked up some 700x 50mm wide Velo Orange alloy fenders from my LBS last week. Definitely took some time to get fitted properly, but I'm very happy with them thus far. They changed the look of the bike massively. Next I borrowed a set of 622x37 (28x1.40) Schwalbe's off the missus' bike to get an idea of tire size. Clearances are tight just about everywhere, but they fit :) I've been dialing in the Dia-Compe brakes and waiting impatiently for my proper tires to arrive. After that I just need to wrap the bars (first time for that) and it will be ready to ride!

Picked up the tires at my LBS today. Put them on, removed the reflective stripe, and installed them. The front caliper isn't playing nice with the slightly smaller wheel so I've got to sort that out, wrap the bars, install the kickstand, and ride!
IMG_3553.JPG

I haven't even ridden it yet, it's killing me! I've been working every day and it's been bucketing rain. I'm off tomorrow and there's supposed to be a break in the weather. Planning on giving it a shakedown run to the coffee shop.

I had to make some fender adjustments, those 700c fenders are FULL with 28" tires. Just how I like it. Rides very well. Fast. This is my first bike with dropped bars so that's taking some getting used to.
IMG_3567.JPG

It really pops in the sun. I love it!

Latest posts

Back