How Do I Know if My Wheels Are Good Still?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjperry81

Gem City Strongman
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a complete noob. Im working my first project, a 50's Evans. I bought it and took the whole thing a part. I see people talking about hub problems and not being a smooth ride. How do I know id my original wheels/coaster hub are still good? Its a budget build like normal so I hope they work. The wheels have no rust through them other than basic surface rust and gunk. The spokes are almost all straight with the exception of maybe 2 that have a slight wave in them. I dont want to take apart the hub and bite off more than I can chew on my first build if I dont have to. Any tips on what to look for in a viable wheel?

Give it a quick ride, if you like it, and it stops :lol: , then all's well and you can take your time learning how to do the maintenance.

Don't be afraid, it's easier than you think. Clear off an area of your workbench, lay out a rag or some paper towels, and start dissasembling the hub. Work on one at a time, and lay out each piece in the order that you take it off. Pay attention when you pull a part out as to how it was in there, how it came out and if necessary take pics or draw a simple diagram. Old hubs look intimidating but they are works of art and really aren't that hard to rebuild. 90% of the time it's just old dried grease causing them to not work...they are so much better built than today's China junk that it's amazing. I just rebuilt a Perry hub from the 50's that was on a bike that we pulled out of a lake. Don't know how many years it was underwater, but it works like new now.

bmxerpete said:
Don't be afraid, it's easier than you think. Clear off an area of your workbench, lay out a rag or some paper towels, and start dissasembling the hub. Work on one at a time, and lay out each piece in the order that you take it off. Pay attention when you pull a part out as to how it was in there, how it came out and if necessary take pics or draw a simple diagram. Old hubs look intimidating but they are works of art and really aren't that hard to rebuild. 90% of the time it's just old dried grease causing them to not work...they are so much better built than today's China junk that it's amazing. I just rebuilt a Perry hub from the 50's that was on a bike that we pulled out of a lake. Don't know how many years it was underwater, but it works like new now.

Yeah, take pictures and make notes. More than you will need. You can do it.

Latest posts

Back