How do I get started?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjperry81

Gem City Strongman
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always liked vintage looking bikes but I just went to Huntington beach last week for vacation last week and I loved all the cruiser bikes ect that I have to make one. I want to build them actually. Where do I start? Do I need to get online and find a cruiser style frame? I have no idea how to do any of this but Im super passionate about it so if someone could please help me I would appreciate it.

Welcome!
I would suggest checking out Craigslist for a frame style that you like and start from there. Grab up a bike, ride it for a while and let your imagination take you where it wants to. I myself, like to build bikes that I enjoy riding THEN start going crazy with extras. There are millions of great ideas here and plenty of super guys to lend some info when needed.
Have fun with it and build what you can within your budget. Some guys build some insane bikes with tons of brand new parts and others build bikes with nothing more than some elbow grease and a rattle can. Every one is awsome and unique.

Oh yhea...... hope you have extra garage space because this addiction can really get ya!! :D

Allways good to read, that someone new got "the virus".
What I did when I got infected, is to plough through this (and other) forum(s). Just to get some ideas.
When the right plan is in your head, start collecting info on the parts you need. Then start collecting parts.
A friend with weldingskills and -equipment, is of priceless value if you don't have the forementioned skills yourself.
And before you know it, you're building a bike.
Good luck.

Yeah! Welcome. There are a lot of cool builds on here. People can do some awesome things without big bucks or fancy frames. I would get a used bike of a style you like. Then fix it up so that it functions just right. After that you'll know where you want to go.

I am obsessed with messing with bikes, it's about all I think about and a lot of what I do.

Be sure to post up your build so we can see your creation.

wimpy said:
What I did when I got infected, is to plough through this (and other) forum(s). Just to get some ideas.
And before you know it, you're building a bike.

Yep, perfect advice.

There is a ton of creativity and ideas on this forum :D ....read and read some more...you will soon be addicted and your life will change forever! (in a good way :D )

aka_locojoe said:
Welcome.

If you're not set on something old or can't wait till you find something old, go to a big-box store and buy a cheap new cruiser. Customize it to your liking.

Randy is right, this is probably the easiest way as your starting with a rideable bike (hopefully) if your going to change it anyway and not keep it original it doesn't matter much, just find something you like. If you don't want a store bought bike, check craiglist, ask friends, co-workers, etc ...

Hey Guys, first of thanks for the warm welcome to both the forum and the hobby. The advice was great. I generally sit on ideas and never pull the trigger but this time I did. I bought a mid 50's Evan bike today off craigslist. Its in rough shape but looks like a solid candidate for an awesome rebuild. I cant tell exactly what year or model so if anyone has some tips other than just surfing the web which ive done let me know. Also does anyone know how i upload a picture on here? Id like to put pics of the bike up

Latest posts

Back