Houston, we have a rat traps problem...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I bought an old rusty Spaceliner with the rat traps springer front end. Had seen a fork like that since I was a kid. I looked over the frame for broken welds and stuff, but didn't pay much attention to the springer. I wish I had now. One side of the piece that clips over the truss is broken off where it hooks to the spring. Ugh.

I imagine that part is made of unobtainium.
ac599592912a9d72f4e843cbe63436df.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It'll be pretty tough to find one for sure, but you might be able to fab one. Although taking a spring loaded front end apart is fun, I've done it. There's more than one reason it's called a "Rat Trap". Conventional thinking says it won't be easy, but if you use a thicker plate to replace the broken piece, you need two holes on the lower edge to hook the spring into and a threaded hole (or two) at the top for a clamp to grab the legs. I think you could do it with a drill and a tap set...

Carl.
3f3d087244afeec4d20183ec3524a625.jpg

Recently I bought an old rusty Spaceliner with the rat traps springer front end. Had seen a fork like that since I was a kid. I looked over the frame for broken welds and stuff, but didn't pay much attention to the springer. I wish I had now. One side of the piece that clips over the truss is broken off where it hooks to the spring. Ugh.

I imagine that part is made of unobtainium.
ac599592912a9d72f4e843cbe63436df.jpg

I believe I have an Extra hanging round

The springs are very difficult to install. Read up on it before making a decision.

Hmmmm.....

Interesting idea Carl. Probably doable with my drill press. I would need what, 3/8" to 1/2" thick material?

This will take further study. Stretching that spring to insert the ends in a custom block or a replacement part seems tricky. Perhaps dangerous.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Fortunately, I have a fork from an old Huffy that fits this frame.

Andy

The springs are very difficult to install. Read up on it before making a decision.
I've taken my rat trap apart before. When the rockers are off the spring can relax to almost no tension. Like Andy said, spreading the spring may be a little tough, but I think it's definitely doable. They put it together at the factory, it's just a matter of reverse engineering the process...

Carl.

If im understanding it correctly, Weld a tube across the whole bottom of that bracket to take the place of both spring hangers. Either leave it 1 tube or cut the middle out.
I think you're on to something, we'll see what works, as I have it now...

Carl.

Latest posts

Back